Pioneer gear and beat syncing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Pioneer gear and beat syncing

Hi all!
    So, I finally got my new setup - a pair of Pioneer CDJ2000's and a Pioneer DJM900Nxs mixer. So far, I have to say I'm extremely happy with the new stuff and how it all works. But there's one problem that I'm dealing with at the moment, and that's the manual beatmatching. While I've been able to improve on that lately, it still takes me some time that I'd rather use for applying effects or doing whatever to the currently playing track. Also, it's often just slightly off which can sometimes be heard when the 2 songs are playing alongside - and personally, even the slightest clash bothers me. So, for the moment, I'm looking for a way to get more exact syncs in less time. Thus, here are my questions:
    Is there any way of beat syncing the CDJ2000's automatically, without using a software like Traktor and timecode disks?
    If not, is there maybe a program that will allow me to select tracks, enter a BPM value and then have the track re-recorded at that BPM? Not an obtimal solution probably, but this way I could ensure all the tracks I want to play in a set have the same BPM until my beat matching skills are fine-tuned enough.
    Other than that, are there any other helpful ways of accomplishing a clean and exact beatmatch easily?
    Thanks a lot!
    Robin
    Last edited by robin_k; 09-25-2011 at 06:24 PM.

You have 200's or 2000's?

You can always just match the bpm manually and go from there, but whats the use, my advice? Practice practice practice.........you can buy the fanciest stuff money can buy, but you still have to have some skills, the machines cant always do it for ya!

Analyze all your tracks with rekordbox and then, use the bpm indicator to adjust the pitch. then check with your ears if it's ok, and if it's not, correct it.

But well, you should have learned that before investing like 5.000 €
    Last edited by dope; 09-26-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Tech Convert

Hi there,
    sorry, it's 2000's! Of course, I understand beatmatching requires some training, and I definitely wasn't planning to ignore that. All I'm looking for is a way to find a temporary solution for this until my skills are good enough, it's certainly nothing I wanted to give up on. It's just that as I previously used a software and Midi controller solution for my DJing, I mainly focused on the actual music, mixing techniques, some effects stuff, etc. and mainly had the software do the beatmatching, without spending too much time on the manual process. So, for the moment I'm surely committed to improving my skills in that field, and thus only wanted a temporary solution for the meantime.
    Robin

go buy a soundcard and run them into traktor if thats what your used to..
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Convert

Hi Dope,
    good point. However, I have to mention something which I haven't mentioned here before, but what makes a difference in that case: I am completely blind and use a Mac with Voice Over, a screen reading software built into Mac OS X. Most programs on the Mac are accessible with Voice Over, however Recordbox isn't, unfortunately. Thus, at the moment I use mp3 files on a USB stick, but have to do the beatmatching with my ears and sense of rythem only. And well, don't misunderstand my questions here please, it's not like I'm totally unable to beatmatch and it's completely off - for the most part, it's just the amount of time I still need and minor inaccuracies that bother me.
    Thanks!
    Robin

there's probably a stack of software that could resample the tunes for u, a quick google shows this that seems to be able to do that http://www.e-soft.co.uk/MediaAudioCapture.htm

but surely the whole/main reason for choosing cd's and doing it manually as opposed to software is to do it manually?

if you resample all your tunes at the exact same bpm you'll never bother to learn to beat match most likely - only pushing those into phase.

i presume u mean cdj200's as the cdj2000's can be linked together and auto sync anyway i thought? to some degree anyway?

i don't like the look of the cd200's, but if i had them i'd use them to mix manually. and if i didn't know how to i'd practice practice practice....

you definately don't want to be able to hear that the two tunes are out of sync. completely different from people wanting to get the two tunes 100% locked in - according to the digital displays - as it's how they sound that matters at the end of the day.

tho i do like a subtle phasing going on with the incoming kick drum sometimes - just so you know a transition is happening...

edit: just saw u said 2000's - very nice... don't they have some kind of builtin synching capability?
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

I personally don't understand why you want a temporary solution to a skill you say you would like to someday master. If you don't learn it now, the hard way, you may never ever learn it after you find your simpler beatmatching method.

Take a look at youtube videos on beatmatching and keep practicing. At the very least, play two tracks that are produced at the same bpm and practice your timing and get used to nudging the jogs.

I agree that that was quite an investment for something that you may later discover you would rather go back to controllerism. I don't care what anyone says, playing clean, smooth mixes does take musical ability, and after decades in bands and studios, I can truthfully say not everyone has it even when they really think they do. But I won't rain on their parade.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

The 900 is scratch certified. Get traktor scratch and hook it up.

Get an x1 and then use the sync button. Then if it's out a bit learn to jog it back or forward to correct it.

Heavy set up.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    The 900 is scratch certified. Get traktor scratch and hook it up.

Get an x1 and then use the sync button. Then if it's out a bit learn to jog it back or forward to correct it.

Heavy set up.
    Hell you can just map a keyboard key for that.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast