lpd8 repair
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lpd8 repair

Tech Wizard

Default lpd8 repair

have a buddies lpd8, trying to use it for effects in traktor scratch, but the usb port is broken off. the port itself is in good shape, just broken off its mounting points on the board. when that happened, it pulled up the solder pads on the board as well. is this fixable, or is the board trashed?

Tech Convert

Exact same thing happened to my pad. I suspect the kids knocked it over and it landed on the usb jack while a cord was plugged in. I had a friend of mine who's good at soldering take a look and he found that there's no way to get the plug back on. He actually ended up tracing the contacts back to somewhere else on the board and soldered a new usb cord on there. I don't know anything about soldering but let me know if you want me to crack it open and take a picture for reference.

Tech Wizard

that'd b awesome if you could without damaging anything. i was going to just borrow it until it turned out to be broken today, if I could fix it maybe he'd just let me have it, and i get a controller for the price of solder :P

did your friend solder a new port on, or did he solder the port on inside and then solder the cord to the port permanently?

Tech Convert

I snapped some pics last night with my phone. I got as close as I could so hopefully this helps you some

Tech Wizard

ooo boy. time to put my novice soldering skills to the test...good thing there's no loss other than a an old 3 ft usb cord if I totally screw it up.

I really hope it doesn't blow up my computer when I try this

fit a powered usb hub in between for testing purpose... worst case you'll blow the hub or it's powert supply.

And it's doable, I did it a couple of times. You just need some patience and tiny wires
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

I killed an LPD8 recently... all the pots don't work anymore (but the buttons do). I've got no idea what I did but I've tried everything to get it working again

It sounds like there's no longer +5V (or else voltage) on your pots then. If you know how to use a multimeter, measure the DC voltage accross the POT, the first and the third pin. Should be at least 3.3v. If there's nothing there... you need to find where the power fail, could be a simple open-circuit ferrite bead, or a broken circuit trace.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

I did that already - there's definitely current passing through the pots... I think it's a problem elsewhere on the board...

Tech Wizard

alright found my iron and some solder. can anyone confirm that gnd and vbus are soldered to either side of the small tan box there (on mine its black and says "100 10V")
    and that D- and D+ are soldered to R1 and R2 respectively?
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast