How do I switch to top 40 without holding my nose?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How do I switch to top 40 without holding my nose?

I have been locked in the bedroom for years until I recently started getting out. Now one of my friends saw spinning my regular house and lounge music and he wants me to DJ at a charity function. The party planner said maybe I'll do an hour of my regular stuff, but they will need more dance-y top 40 stuff for the other 3 hours.

No I am not going to turn my nose up at 4 hours of live spinning, I'm not crazy, but I am going to have trouble handling spinning all that stuff that i am not at all used to. I basically only get music from traxsource lately, I don't know what people listen to unless it's on tv commercials, and the remixes I've found of charted tracks aren't anything like what I regularly spin.

I feel like I'm stuck. I can't find music that allows me to blend what they want with what I know at the same time. I can't get excited about spinning 3 hours of Katy Perry and rhianna, i'm pretty sure I'll be noticeably annoyed and it will show in the mood of the room.

Any advice?

I am all for integrity first. If you don't like Top 40, why would you play it?

Stand up and promote the music you like and keep your integrity

i wouldnt take the gig. if you're uncomfortable spinning 3/4 of the time it doesnt make sense.. another thing you could try is to convince the partner planner to spin more of your own stuff (or maybe just get another top40 dj)..

another (timeconsuming) approach would be to find house remixes of top40 songs you actually enjoy..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

What the hell holding your nose means?
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Quote Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post
    What the hell holding your nose means?
    It means top 40's music stinks
    Samsung Ativ Book 8 15.6” i7-3635QM | Z2 | F1 | X1 | A6 | 2 x Str8-150 | TMA-1 | TSP
    KRK Rockit Gen 2 6 | Focusrite Saffire 6 | Ableton Push | Alesis V49 | TMA-1 Studio | Ableton Live 9
    http://www.soundcloud.com/kid-quest

Tech Guru

Don't take the gig.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Yeah I was taking top 40 gigs 4 a while. I put up with it by finding electo/house remixes. Even then though people would complain and ask if I had the original. I stopped a a while ago though. They were never enjoyable for me.
    Samsung Ativ Book 8 15.6” i7-3635QM | Z2 | F1 | X1 | A6 | 2 x Str8-150 | TMA-1 | TSP
    KRK Rockit Gen 2 6 | Focusrite Saffire 6 | Ableton Push | Alesis V49 | TMA-1 Studio | Ableton Live 9
    http://www.soundcloud.com/kid-quest

When accepting any job, dj'ing or not. you should only accept a job if you know you can fulfill what's asked of you 100%.

back to your original question, some remixes will help keep if from being boring. but if they are paying you and they want top 40(original version) you have to.

that being said do it if you want, just dont play house remixes and avoid what they ask. That will give them grounds to not pay you.
    a lot of court cases are lost by dj's that mess up events by not following the contract or agreement
    Beatslicing for the bitches

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Quest View Post
    It means top 40's music stinks
    Whoa, very simple! Thx bro!

I would not take the gig either or if you must, reach a happy medium. Make some 30min mixtapes with certain degrees of tolerable stinkyness and see if they likey.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

I've been asked to play parties for friends and I know they will want top 40 so I just tell them honestly to find someone else, I did do a friends engagement party once as a favour but it was so much hard work to get up to date with top 40 stuff, I'd never do it again
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast