The one thing that sucks about DJing with a macbook pro...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The one thing that sucks about DJing with a macbook pro...

Two damn USB ports unless you get a 17" which is just silly.

That gives you... one soundcard and one controller, awesome.... Or one controller/soundcard and one other controller, still not enough. I know I need 3 ports minimum for my controllers and interfaces, and who wants to lug around a powered USB hub that needs to be plugged in and is a mess of wires and is another thing to get tangled, unplugged, or die? I'm thinking of building a USB hub into my S4 flight case or something.

Tech Wizard

Get a 4-way USB adaptor, job done!
    "Today, we do what they won't, so tomorrow we can achieve what they can't..."
    DJ | Writer | Podcaster | Facebook | Twitter

powered usb hub???????? run external hard disk through firewire 800, main soundcard or the s4 through one usb slot and the rest just use a powered usb hub through the last usb slot

Tech Guru

First of all I don't think that 17' macbook are good for DJing out home...
    I'm really more into compact setups and a little less inexpensive luggage
    you know that you can be stealed right?

Quote Originally Posted by RickNash View Post
    Get a 4-way USB adaptor, job done!
    How do these work with controllers with lots of LEDs and power draw? I have heard of them causing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    How do these work with controllers with lots of LEDs and power draw? I have heard of them causing issues.

no issues whatsoever im running an x1,maschine and nanokontrol thru a belkin hub running both traktor and maschine at the same time routing audio from traktor in machine application for added effects and route back maschine sequenced loop back into channel c to eq back my loops and put effects on my sequenced loops which i can change on the fly all in synch together with deck a,b,d running loops with effects. make sure both traktor and maschine running with the same bit rate together with jack osx. im running a 13 inch macbook pro i5 with 8gb ram with a bit rate of 2048/41000 on all applications running at the same time. make sure all other applications are not running with airport turned off and if you are not using ipad then bluetooth turned off too.
    Last edited by Pollux#13; 09-28-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff View Post
    First of all I don't think that 17' macbook are good for DJing out home...
    I'm really more into compact setups and a little less inexpensive luggage
    you know that you can be stealed right?
    you I recently had a drink spilled on my brand spanking new macbook pro and it needs a new logic board. I went out and bought a 400.00 black macbook and it works damn perfect with SSL that i am keeping it as my gigging laptop for good. I'll keep my nice one at home. The black macbook works flawless.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    you I recently had a drink spilled on my brand spanking new macbook pro and it needs a new logic board. I went out and bought a 400.00 black macbook and it works damn perfect with SSL that i am keeping it as my gigging laptop for good. I'll keep my nice one at home. The black macbook works flawless.
    :eek::eek::eek:

Whoa man that sucks!! Check for warranty? THey have a couple things on Ebay to cover the keyboard. I bought one for my macbook and it's barely noticeable. I also have a blackbook and it runs like a champ . I have it bootcamped with Win7 ultimate with a very good system rating. A lot more than a lot recent AMD systems and newer lappys.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

I have to plug in other gear anyways (including the laptop) so having a powered hub has never bothered me.

17" ftw
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast