Beat Grids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beat Grids

Default Beat Grids

What do beat grids do? I'm curious to use them but I don't know what they do and why i would use them.
    ALL I DO IS PARTY HA HA HA

well they keep your tracks in sync when you hit the sync buttion i use something like that in ableton but they call it warping, its very helpful so all my music stays in time when i am mixing like 4 decks. also helps when you have a loop going and go out of the loop and your timing is off the beat grids will bring everything backin time.
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

Beatgrids are great but a bit of work to set up ... Rocksolid tempo to sync with basically. Only prob is they don't fix a track that drifts, you have to sort that in ableton first then bring it back into traktor and grid it

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Beatgrids tell Traktor what tempo the song is. They are used as a visual cue for where each beat lands. It is built mainly for electronically produced music, so it does not have a system to deal with drift (when a real live drummer is playing only the best of them can play without causing at least a slight drift in tempo). You use them to keep tracks in time with syncing, to remove the manual beatmatch requirement of mixing.

Ean put up a video for creating beat grids in Traktor, and there are a lot of resources on the NI site, in the manual, and around these forums on how to use them.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

sorry about the other thread i did not think this thread was posted because my computer crashed. again sorry.

Do beatgrids offer better accuracy than the sync button in traktor??

Quote Originally Posted by djxsquizet View Post
    well they keep your tracks in sync when you hit the sync buttion i use something like that in ableton but they call it warping, its very helpful so all my music stays in time when i am mixing like 4 decks. also helps when you have a loop going and go out of the loop and your timing is off the beat grids will bring everything backin time.
    Careful, warping and beat gridding are two completely different things.

Warping can alter your track tempo at different parts in order to keep it at one speed.

Beat grids are visual items telling Traktor what tempo your song is.

Evan_c, your last question makes no sense. You should probably read through the manual once in order to understand this more, then ask questions.

To accurately use the sync button you need to use beat grids.

(this is explained in the manual)

Beat grids just tell Traktor precisely what the tempo is. That way, when you use the sync button, it knows how much to change the pitch. The automatic bpm detection is good, but not perfect. So you want to use the beat grids along with the beat detection. I never spin any song without gridding it.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    Careful, warping and beat gridding are two completely different things.

Warping can alter your track tempo at different parts in order to keep it at one speed.

Beat grids are visual items telling Traktor what tempo your song is.

Evan_c, your last question makes no sense. You should probably read through the manual once in order to understand this more, then ask questions.
    Yes, yes and yes.

Thanks for the clairification, Chilly
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

fair enough i'll try using it. Maybe i'll understand it more. Btw i have tried reading the manual but I could not grasp the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by evan_c View Post
    sorry about the other thread i did not think this thread was posted because my computer crashed. again sorry.

Do beatgrids offer better accuracy than the sync button in traktor??
    Have a good look at the manual dude.

In short, the SYNC works with the beatgrids you have laid down in a track. The beat grids (when you have them set properly) tell Traktor where the beats are.

When you have two gridded tracks playing and press SYNC, Traktor matches the BPM of the songs so that the beatgrids play at the same tempo, which means if the beatgrids are set properly, the beats of the songs will play in sync.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast