New open source key detection tool
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Default New open source key detection tool

Hey all,

I just finished a computer science course and built a key detection tool for DJs as my final project. The tool is called KeyFinder. It's designed to work primarily with EDM, but it's highly tweakable and I've had decent results with various genres.

In addition to a batch key detection interface which can write to metadata tags, it includes a musical visualisation tool called a chromagram. I've found this quite useful for visualising chord structures, melodies and key changes, and I think it's pretty unique in the DJ software world; I haven't seen any other tools that have something similar.

I got good accuracy during my experiments but unfortunately I didn't test it on a wide selection of music. I had very little time and had to key it all manually and then get the results verified. It would be great to improve KeyFinder to work on a wide variety of genres.

So I'm releasing it for free under the GPL, in the hope the community finds it useful. It's a bit primitive, and for Mac only at present, but it should be pretty simple to port to Windows if there's interest.

If you want to try it you can download a Mac binary here. My write-up which describes the algorithms is also there if you're into that kind of thing. If anyone has any interest in working on it, or any comments or questions, feel free to get in touch here or using the email address on that page.

Cheers

looks interesting..

will have a closer look tomorrow..
    one thing: you could implement the chamelot circle (if there's no copyright or smthng). i just input it into the custom keycodes. but this needs some time..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

@weltraumpapst

Unfortunately the Camelot codes are now the intellectual property of Mixed In Key. I intend to get back in touch with them to talk about licensing but it may not happen.

As you say, the custom codes function can be used for something similar.

Tech Guru

I will check it too

There's a Windows version up on the site now, though it's probably not entirely stable. I've actually only tested it on XP, as that's the only Windows I have access to.

If anyone has time to try it out and send feedback, I'd appreciate it.

Tech Wizard

The Windows version does not work in Windows 7 (Ultimate x86) out of the box. Also tried Compatibility mode -> Win XP SP3

FIX libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is missing

put http://pt.sourceforge.jp/projects/sf...c_s_dw2-1.dll/ in the KeyFinder folder/ZIP

FIX mingw10.dll is missing:

extract http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...shtml?mingwm10 into the keyfinder folder/ZIP

FIX App crash when adding tracks:

Don't copy incompatible tracks (which makes the app pretty useless, sorry)
    Last edited by Br4M; 10-30-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Br4M View Post
    FIX App crash when adding tracks:

Don't copy incompatible tracks (which makes the app pretty useless, sorry)
    Thanks Br4M. Can you post some details of this crash?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ibsh View Post
    Thanks Br4M. Can you post some details of this crash?
    Not really, I'm sorry but I'm not planning on looking in Event Viewer and everything since I'm pretty busy atm. Here's a screenie:

The track about to be added is : D Mad - She gave happiness (Arty Remix). Traktor is unable to scan the BPM of this song properly(and I downloaded it off zippyshare.com). I don't care about this too much since I've only got about 20 tracks that can't be read by Traktor.

W&W - Alpha (Tenishia Remix) can't be copied as well, but this song doesn't give me any problem in Traktor(Traktor even reads the key - wtf - !)

I'm using one 1440x900 and one 1024x768 screen, so it looks weird
    Last edited by Br4M; 10-30-2011 at 03:48 PM.

That's plenty, cheers. =)

Any more progress/work being made on this if there is any needed?
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast