[MIDI] How to assign Scratch
    Tech Convert

Default [MIDI] How to assign Scratch

Hello,
    I have a midi device with touchpad and I want to assign the touch pad to make a vinyl like scratch but I don't know how to do it. I know that there is Deck>Scratch list in Traktor but I'm getting really confused when I'm trying to make this working. I don't know how it is assigned in VCI-100 but I think that the best way is to make a 100% vinyl emulation. What I mean is: Track is currently playing and when I touch my touchpad the vinyl-scratch emulation is active and when I release it the emulation stops. Which MIDI controls should I use?

EDIT:
    I've tryed to assing a key for "Deck Scratch On" and "Deck Scratch" by touchpad but now rather than scratch I am making ultra fast rewind like in old Tape recorders. What's wrong?
    Last edited by derek; 06-03-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Update

Tech Convert

I'm having the same problem, is there any way to scratch with MIDI without a jog-wheel?

There are 2 functions you need to engage:

Deck Scratch ON

+

Deck Scratch

if you want it to work like the vci-100

your jog wheel needs to send out a message when you touch it (DS on)

and when you move it (DS)

hope that helps

Tech Convert

I was wondering how you scratch WITHOUT jog wheels though. Is there a way in Traktor?

Well, I might be assigning a rotary to it per deck.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by silviu View Post
    I was wondering how you scratch WITHOUT jog wheels though. Is there a way in Traktor?
    The problem might be not the software, but that jog wheels should send Relative ControlChange messages over MIDI.

Normal knobs send a positive value between 0 and 127, but (some) rotary knobs can send signed values using the RPN or NRPN CC messages. It's these signed values that the scratch code wants to read - if you attach it to a normal CC you're sending it +1, +3, +4, +5... messages and it just gets faster and faster. You need a CC that sends lots of small increment/decrement messages like: +1, +2, +1, +1, 0, -1, -3, -1, -1, +4, +1

Good rotary controllers can send this relative message stuff.

Hey, I just thought! Using Bome's you can record the previous CC value sent by a knob and subtract that from the next message, generating a relative offset. It won't give you full range, but you could get something of a scratch effect from a normal knob. Ooh, got to write that one down...

You just did.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --