my first gig is comin up!! yacht club 1st birthday party help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default my first gig is comin up!! yacht club 1st birthday party help!

my dad's coworker's son is having his 1st birthday at a yacht club and he agreed to let me DJ the party.

First off, ive never djed an actual gig before let alone play infont of my friends. my dad said my audience is gonna be kinda rich, family and friends type old and young. what I'm most worried is my music library. I play mostly house, dutch, progressive, trance beats and this is a birthday party for a 1 year old kid.... lol

but a gigs a gig and I have to get experience if I want to step up my game.

I already have my CDJ setup all in a flight case, im planning not to use my laptop but my beatmatching might mess me up.

any thoughts on how I should approach this. song selection (especially) since the occasion is pretty specific !

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

Get some Wiggles, Barney, that sort of stuff. Should go down a hit. And don't worry about your actual mixing too much, this sort of crowd won't notice, so don't stress about your beatmatching.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

I would definately need that "happy birthday song " lol

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

option 1: go download a mess of top40 and hope you dont mess up beat matching different genres

option 2: throw it down with w/e you all ready have and hope the people enjoy what you play.

option 3 would be to just get alot of top40 incl remixes and sneak in some of your own music preference into your set.

edit: dj pools are your best friend for downloading a ton of top40 tracks in a hurry
    Last edited by Invoke; 10-01-2011 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiino View Post
    my audience is gonna be kinda rich, family and friends type old and young. I play mostly house, dutch, progressive, trance beats
    Hahaha, this cracked me up! Yeah, you need to get some more music for sure. If it's all ages you cant go wrong with soul and reggae. There's a Motown 50 compilation with pretty much all the classics, and im sure you can find a massive reggae comp for nut much on itunes. You could even get away with playing a couple of classic albums in full. Some Bob or something...
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

I would definately need that "happy birthday song " lol
    You mean "In Da Club"?

Anyways, I'd like to say that having a DJ for a 1 year old birthday party is pretty intense. I also originally misread that it was a yacht party which pretty much gave me a mental image of the Big Pimpin video but with a baby replacing Jay-Z.

On topic, I have no idea what to suggest because I can't make sense of the gig at all. #hugehelp

and yea
    my audience is gonna be kinda rich, family and friends type old and young. I play mostly house, dutch, progressive, trance beats
    Sounds like hiring a car detailer to paint your house. A DJ's a DJ rite?
    Last edited by DigitalDevil; 10-01-2011 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    You mean "In Da Club"?

Anyways, I'd like to say that having a DJ for a 1 year old birthday party is pretty intense. I also originally misread that it was a yacht party which pretty much gave me a mental image of the Big Pimpin video but with a baby replacing Jay-Z.

On topic, I have no idea what to suggest because I can't make sense of the gig at all. #hugehelp

and yea

Sounds like hiring a car detailer to paint your house. A DJ's a DJ rite?
    haha. I just realized what I just said. I agree a DJ's a DJ. but I'm just worried about catering my music to the old people and keeping it clean cause its a baby boy party.

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

Banned

I agree a DJ's a DJ.

I wouldn't worry about beat matching, you better get your music library together fast get al the best of the 70's 80's and 90's some soul, motown disco. find out what age the dad is get music from the period he was a student.

Ask the dad what he likes. The kid won't remember this party, the dad and his family and friends will.

Do you have any knowledge about these periods and their music?

Use your laptop so you can find requests quickly.

And if people like to do these kind of parties, get your act together and learn and listen what has been played in the other decades.
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

but a gigs a gig
    yeah, and if you play your cards right you could corner the big money spending raver toddler market
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast