Trying to get the hang of 3/4 deck mixing in traktor
    Tech Guru

Default Trying to get the hang of 3/4 deck mixing in traktor

I have been trying to get into mixing with more than 2 decks in traktor, using a korg nanopad to switch my VCI-100 to toggle C&D mode, so control isn't really a problem. I can get two loops running pretty well, but am finding the timing to be troublesome (timing of me doing everything, not the phrasing of the songs). Does 4 deck mixing require awesome song memorization, because I feel like I can remember the melody of a song, but finding the snares, fills, basslines in many different songs quickly to build a track is very hard for me atm. I think that my main problem is I will drop from 3/4 down to like 1/2 decks playing because I can't find parts to loop and layer quickly enough, and when I do I feel like I am layering w/e I can grab, vs. 2 deck mixing where I really can consider how things will work together. Is it just lots of practice with 4 decks before you can do it well and really think of song selection, do you guys/girls have any tips on how to make life more easy while mixing 4 decks, ie. pre-cueing parts of a song to quickly find basslines, snares, etc.?

you should already have you loop points and cue points set up so its cuts down on the time.

just before mixing listen to ya tracks and if you hear a good section that you think you should loop do it and save the loop point.
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

This lesson must be shared: be prepared, be prepared, be prepared.
    Last edited by gfocus; 03-03-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typo