So does anyone do visual effects mixing for their sets and how do you incorporate it?

Default So does anyone do visual effects mixing for their sets and how do you incorporate it?

I'm not talking about mixing music videos, that is boring to me and really limited to top 40 type stuff and is a big reason I never considered video as something to get into.

Recently I have seen some EDM guys incorporated abstract visual effects mixing into their sets and it seems really cool. Maybe someone can find the video who knows what I'm talking about but in another thread on the db4 there was a big name who was using the midi out on the db4 to simultaneously alter his visual effects show to correspond to what he was doing on the mixer with the music.

This type of stuff is very interesting to me and I feel like could really enhance a set if there was a good system to do it. I really don't know anything about video and I'm looking for ideas and information on how to incorporate a visual element beyond just mixing music videos- something that could go on alongside a traktor set.

I'm not 100% sure but i think you can with Serato. Don't know how it works though. What's sure is that you can't do that with Traktor.

Have a look around 6:50
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKFMaD6Wlzs

Tech Mentor

If your using a Mac VDMX is amazing VJ software, in which you can map your midi stuff to it for all kinds of fun. You can also mix in a live feed from a camera or your laptop etc. It's easy to use, and has some cool features, like LFO's or Audio in modulation.

Ive played around with Resolume avenue and it looks cool. If you wanted to you can map it to the same midi controller that you are djing with (thats if u use one) then when you add effects or crossfade ect the visuals will also change in real time