Books thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Books thread

Default Books thread

as i continue to probe the mind of old and new aspiring DJs i would like to know if there are any readers out there...i read for fun, not self help or moral values....please recommend a book or a favorite author...

as usual i will start

Jon Krakauer - Into the Wild : I've read it again recently for the third time...everytime i gain new insights to the main character...fantastic book...and not very long...

Tom Clancy - Without Remorse : great revenge story...by a favorite author

Anthony Kiedis - Scar Tissue : sex drugs rock and roll...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Terry Pratchett pretty much covers it all.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I have this right now, but I don't get much time to read.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/This-Your-Brain-Music-Obsession/dp/0525949690"]Amazon.com: This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession (9780525949695): Daniel J. Levitin: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YJgwXj2ZL.@@AMEPARAM@@51YJgwXj2ZL[/ame]
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Terry Pratchett pretty much covers it all.
    thanks for expounding on that...

what kind of books does he write? i see that he's a writer for young people...tell me more...

my brother has been chirping at me to read "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"...

interesting book chris...how does it read?

Tom Robbins Jitterbug Perfume is my favorite by him.

I am not much of a book reader more of a visual dvd movie type.
    But my all time favorite reads would have to be the below series. I got a bit deep during my late teens early 20's & these books where & are a big part of my life and beliefs.

And on a lighter side, I could not put the below books down once I started. they are each like a movie inside my head, The action is insane

And moving on to my cheesy side I read the couple below after my 1st heartbreak (seems so long ago now that I am happily married . oooh the fun and shenanigans I had in between :eek

Last edited by Zaniac; 10-03-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Im into U.S. History, just finished 'George Washington', almost done with 'Americans In Paris', next up is 'Marquis de Lafayette'............prior to these, a whole bunch!

I know there are alot of you guys in here from the U.K. Im looking for a book about the Revolutionary War during 1776, but from an English point of view........any of you guys have access to anything like that and willing to ship stateside?

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

The Hitchhiker series is pretty awesome. It's a sci-fi comedy, though it does start to really fall apart about 1/2 way through book 3. This may be reflecting the main character's mental state by that point in the books. Also +1 to Terry Pratchett, great stuff. Again, it is sci-fi comedy and not as much for young people as you'd think. Some of the humour would go over the head of most young people.

I am somewhat partial to Frank Herbert. He wrote the original Dune books, sci-fi, overall pretty awesome and very, very deep. Haruki Murakami, Wind Up Bird Chronicle is awesome and Kafka On The Beach is on my to read list. Not sure how to categorize him other than as just general fiction, deep and strange stuff though. The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks is also pretty good. Fantasy I guess, basically about an assassin, middle ages-eque, magic, etc... usual players for that kind of thing. Very interesting and well written characters are what make the books shine. John Irving has some great books, my favourite would be A Prayer For Owen Meany. I also really enjoyed The World According To Garp. General fiction again and both of those books should be on a must read list for pretty much anyone (especially the first).

Currently working through the autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini. Interesting stuff, that guy got into all sorts of shit in Renaissance Italy.

That's just a few things sitting on my shelf that aren't academic books... though a lot of those are old Latin or Ancient Greek texts / authors & whatnot... even some Old English & Old Norse lol. I'll probably post more when I get home for the weekend and can look at my actual bookshelves.

P.S. I forgot who wrote Watership Down but that is one crazy book. Also The Dream Of The Ridiculous Man by Franz Kafka is one of my favourites by Kafka (I found The Trial and much of Notes from the Underground to be quite a drag to read).
    Last edited by Citizen_Insane; 10-04-2011 at 12:42 AM.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    thanks for expounding on that...

what kind of books does he write? i see that he's a writer for young people...tell me more...
    The early books are comedy riffs on the classic swords and sorcery books, but the later ones are far more satirical ... very clever and laugh out loud funny. I've been a fan for about 20 years now

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Tom Robbins Jitterbug Perfume is my favorite by him.
    Cracking isn't it - if you like that have you tried Tom Holt?

I am a bit of a bookworm - I read incessantly ...

Currently I'm reading Lloyd Bradley / Bass Culture: When Reggae was King which is an excellent history of Jamaican music from the 50 onwards.

I'm currently working my way through this list of books from a site I used to be a regular contributer to - 52 down, quite a few more to go ... favourites from it so far are Joseph Heller / Catch-22, Rudyard Kipling / Kim, Dan Simmons / Hyperion and Donna Tartt / The Secret History
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast