Traktor, Ns6, Ableton & midi through smartphone - I have a cunning plan....
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor, Ns6, Ableton & midi through smartphone - I have a cunning plan....

Right what i'm asking may be a very cunning paln, totally stupid or even just impossible but......

I have Traktor pro 2, Ableton live, a Numark NS6 and an app on my android phomne that lets me send midi via wifi.

What i want to be able to do is dj as normal with the ns6 and traktor, then send the master out of traktor into ableton, apply some lovely vst items , e.g. compression and maybe a few effects, etcs (controlled by the midi piano app on my phone) and then send the output back to Tracktor's main out so it comes out of my speakers.

I think i can connect traktor and ableton using the tutorials on here and controlling each bit separately should be ok but routing it back confuses me (i'm assuming I need something like Jack or Virtual Audio Cable) as the ns6 is effectively the audio interface.

Am i being very silly and if so how else could i achieve this or if it is possible how is the best way to do it and what issues will i run into (i'm imagining latency might kill the idea?)

Many thanks

2 things come straight into mind with this idea (Which is pretty cool imo)

1. Jack is a powerful piece of software, But i'm pretty sure you can't route the audio twice (Correct me if i am wrong there)

2. If Jack (or similar piece of software can do this) - Yes, the latency would be pretty bad i would think.

But couldn't you just use rewire? I'm pretty sure its compatible with traktor

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_sa71rjvak
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Everything is fine except routing from ableton back to traktor, not sure why you would want to do that. Also not sure where the phone comes into play at all. If its just for syncing programs, you can send the clock from traktor directly to ableton.

Tech Convert

ReWire - i'd forgotten about that - used it ages ago but as didn't really have anything to use it worth was only playing about.

Should have also mentioned i'm using windows not a mac (as that would probably make it much easier!)

Just checked - Rewire isn't compatible with traktor. but i'm sure theres a way of what armyofme did for windows.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Convert

would this work:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/04/0...-with-ableton/

or is this trying to mix through ableton too?

Presumably the routing would work and i wouldn't ned the midi sync and could use my phone to control ableton?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    Everything is fine except routing from ableton back to traktor, not sure why you would want to do that. Also not sure where the phone comes into play at all. If its just for syncing programs, you can send the clock from traktor directly to ableton.
    So can I route ableton to output via the NS6 just like i would in Traktor? (sorry not used ableton with a proper soundcard until now)

The phone was to control ableton as i couldn't see an easy way to use the NS6 in Traktor and ableton at the same time without having a mega confusing map?

Yeah you just need the output from ableton set up to use the NS6 soundcard. Use jack (or whatever windows equivalent is) to route traktor into ableton, and then send the ableton outputs to the outputs on your ns6. No need to double route back to traktor.

As for the phone, if it's just a midi controller you can use it or not depending on your preference. You ought to be able to use the NS6 midi controls on both traktor and ableton but just realize if you map something to do something on both programs at once, it probably will do that.

Disclaimer - I've never used an NS6 so I'm just guessing what it can do based on what you've written but if it has a regular soundcard it should work as described.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Convert

Ok failed at the first!

Tried to get Traktor talking to Ableton and in following the instructions linked above for smart mixing i ran into a problem.....

In TP2 there is no option to set the midi interface only "send midi clock" and "midi clock offset"

I also get an issue when selecting th output routing - i only get a couple of options for virtual cable and when i go to change it only get my original settings (i.e. no list of virtual cable options)?

Any help most welcome.