how do the big dj's do it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default how do the big dj's do it?

wondering how all those big dj's do those amazing build ups? iv tried and just cant get it to a t

believe in yourself, eat all your school, drink your sleep, and get 8 hours of drugs a day

Tech Guru

pre recorded sets
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

it´s a long way to the top if you wanna rock´n´roll. jus saying man. u need to practice and practice and practice!
    on the other hand. even the big players mees it up once in a while. even their prerecorded sets may have some dents.
    i was listening to excision´s latest mixtape and there is a big harmonic clash in one transition. that gave me a smile and brought back that no ones perfect
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Guru

a lot of its all to do with song choice as you can hear in my latest mix http://soundcloud.com/mr_stifffy/electro-mix

woo spam advertising for a cause :P. This used minimal fx since I was attempting to do something simple and use the characteristics of songs to actually help the flow of music, the majority of songs are mixed in key which helps with transitions and I found songs that merge well together... its all down to practise... I added in comments before all the blends so you can listen for yourself but the build ups etc... are all in the songs (no added fx)
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Routine tracklist
    Play Track A with Track D enough to where you know how to do it everytime flawlessly
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Wizard

The above plus premade remixes/bootlegs/edits just for the one set. Makes things helluva lot easier.

Tech Guru

track selection/timing. deck& mixer fx tricks. custom edits.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by earl panda View Post
    i was listening to excision´s latest mixtape and there is a big harmonic clash in one transition. that gave me a smile and brought back that no ones perfect

wouldn't look to an excision mixtape as the standard for djing.

good producer, so-so dj.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    wouldn't look to an excision mixtape as the standard for djing.

good producer, so-so dj.
    His point still stands though. I myself was quite surprised when I heard a couple of key clashes in Sasha's set from Panorama Bar a couple weeks back. Still an awesome set of course, but nonetheless surprising, especially coming from Sasha.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast