S4 ground loop help
    Tech Wizard

Default S4 ground loop help

Hi, I recently switched from pc to mac to run my S4.

When it was running on pc I had the classic intermitant audio drop outs and various bits of lagging, however even when the pc was plugged in there was no ground loop interferance or static.

I got an old second hand black mac and it runs traktor and the S4 beautifully, no audio drop outs, excellent latency and no lag. However when I plug the magsafe charger in I get a deep hum with random audio interferance. Its fine when it's not charging.

The S4 is connected to KRK RP6's via balanced 1/4 leads. I've made the noise a bit better by reducing the gain on the speakers themseleves, but it is far from perfect. I've tried connecting via phono but the interferance is intensified. Also tried plugging into various different sockets to no avail.

As this only happens when the mac is plugged in, not the pc, could this be an error with the mac power supply? Any help is very much appreciated, thanks guys!

Tech Wizard

There are a lot of things you can do to control your latency...I havent gotten into it much but the one time I had problems I disabled my wireless, and it worked like a charm. Its an easy fix, but if that doesn't work there are a bunch of videos on djtechtools mainpage that showed what processes to disable on your mac that will be able to make it run better.

Hope I helped : D
    Traktor Kontrol S4/Maschine/Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Acer Aspire Notebook, Core I5 2.66 GHz-2.93/Electro/House/Older Dubstep/Glitch Hop

The hum can be eliminated with a ground loop isolater. I know this has been asked and answered a few times, so try searching the forums first .

It is not recommended, but you can get a grounded plug adapter that turns a 3 prong plug into a 2 prong. That way you are eliminating the ground on your laptop cord. It will stop the hum, but with out the ground I believe you risk your laptop getting fried by a surge. If you go this route untill you get a proper isolater, use a very good power strip with a breaker, and I would only do this at home, not playing out. Theres no telling what condition some electrical systems are in at venues.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by coryhoskin View Post
    There are a lot of things you can do to control your latency...I havent gotten into it much but the one time I had problems I disabled my wireless, and it worked like a charm. Its an easy fix, but if that doesn't work there are a bunch of videos on djtechtools mainpage that showed what processes to disable on your mac that will be able to make it run better.

Hope I helped : D
    Wrong thread sorry LOL

The more you know...
    Traktor Kontrol S4/Maschine/Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Acer Aspire Notebook, Core I5 2.66 GHz-2.93/Electro/House/Older Dubstep/Glitch Hop