How many of us are 'actual' musicians? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Guru

A DJ is a musician.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    A DJ is a musician.
    A dj is a performer... The bridge between instruments and CDs/turntables/controllers is getting smaller but would still never consider a dj a musician and as a dj I'm alright with that...

I just don't think it'll ever be deemed as a traditional musical (musicians) instrument.
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Played in a band for 4 years nearly got signed but blew it for being too rock and roll

I play drums,bass,guitar,keyboard

Tech Guru

hmmm not really i don't think. i write lyrics and used to rap, used to be big into producing. i mostly just dj for my sound kicks though at the moment.

when i think of the word musician, not only do I think of someone who has proficiency in an instrument but also does or has done it for a career, or had extensive training at a university level.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    A DJ is a musician.
    A DJ is someone who uses what a musician creates.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    when i think of the word musician, not only do I think of someone who has proficiency in an instrument but also does or has done it for a career, or had extensive training at a university level.
    I think you've got this completely wrong, all that your saying is correct for someone thats a 'professional musician' well the it been there career thing, but the word musician is simply someone who plays a musical instrument, you don't need any training to be a musician, to be a good musician thats different I guess.
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

Tech Guru

Ok let me rephrase that, any GOOD DJ is a musician. Is Girl Talk a musician? All he does is play other peoples music? Is Daft Punk a musician? Even if they only played other peoples music they would do it with more creativity than me just slapping 2 songs together and calling it a day.

If you don't want to think of DJs as musicians than go ahead who cares I personally like to think that when I play music I try do things in new and creative ways that bring out different sounds, feelings, and emotions in the records that I play.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Tech Mentor

Daft Punk are producers with a musical performances, yes they are musicians because they create.

Someone who only manipulates other peoples tunes isn't a musician unless you completely change the track to a point where you're using your DJ equipment as a form of instrument.
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

No official gradings but i can play along with my brother on piano who is grade 4, i can read music and self taught myself quite a bit about musical theory
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

I think being able to read music is key, as well as musical theory.

I would never consider someone a musician if they couldn't read music. And guitar tabs don't count.

Just my opinion though.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by towifer View Post
    I think you've got this completely wrong, all that your saying is correct for someone thats a 'professional musician' well the it been there career thing, but the word musician is simply someone who plays a musical instrument, you don't need any training to be a musician, to be a good musician thats different I guess.

i just don't consider some guy who learned how to play a couple songs badly on the french horn in highschool a musician.
    it's like calling someone who built his first doghouse a carpenter.

or calling someone who gets together with his buddies on the weekend to kick a ball around a soccer/football player.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast