How many of us are 'actual' musicians?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How many of us are 'actual' musicians?

Its something i've been wondering since majority of DJ's i've met in my local area have come from somewhere else in the music scene, myself i've been in several 'rock' bands where i've played drums, and a pop band that I played keyboards in.

Do you have any professional musical training? Myself i've got Rockschool Grade 8 drums, RGT Grade 5 guitar and ABRSM Grade 3 music theory. I did music technology at college so I 'had' to do them as part of my course, other than the drums I did that up to grade 5 outside college, then did my grade 8 inside college.

I still consider myself more of a musician than a producer or even a DJ as its what i've done more!
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

I've taken classes at the Royal Conservatory of Music. I have my grade 8 in piano, and my harmony I exam. The harmony is really helpful when mixing, because I can how hear keys better, and which songs will work well with each other. Also great for live mashups.
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

Tech Wizard

I've been a drummer nearly my whole life. Was in a handful of bands, but started to play with EDM because getting a group of people to coordinate is a lot more difficult than to work on things on my own the way I want to do it. I enjoy this a lot more.
    Dell Inspiron 15r | i5 | 8gb
    Traktor 2 Pro | Mixtrack Pro | X1 |
    FL 10 | Massive | Reaktor 5 | LPK25
    MixCloud | OneSheet

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jingr View Post
    I've been a drummer nearly my whole life. Was in a handful of bands, but started to play with EDM because getting a group of people to coordinate is a lot more difficult than to work on things on my own the way I want to do it. I enjoy this a lot more.

This is almost identical to me, I decided to leave the band scene because working with the other people in the bands I was in was getting VERY difficult and put a strain on my friendship with them (I dont speak to any of them anymore). EDM for me gives me something that doesn't have a time limit, I can produce to my hearts content, and the structure doesn't need to be dependant on what other people think.
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

played drums in several hardcore / crust / punk bands...
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by towifer View Post
    This is almost identical to me, I decided to leave the band scene because working with the other people in the bands I was in was getting VERY difficult and put a strain on my friendship with them (I dont speak to any of them anymore). EDM for me gives me something that doesn't have a time limit, I can produce to my hearts content, and the structure doesn't need to be dependant on what other people think.
    We are identical. I couldn't agree more. I can literally do whatever I want, how I want, and at a pace I see fit. I'm glad I did those bands though. Taught me a lot about music you can't learn in school. Plus I can come up with some awesome drum beats now on my computer. Stuff I wish I could physically do.
    MixCloud | OneSheet

Tech Mentor

Man we are all too similar when it comes to this! I'm glad I did the gigs because they were with some of my best friends at the time and I loved gigging all over the country, but recording was the bane of my existence! As far as i'm concerned when I record a band the drummer along with my opinion as the producer decides how the kit should sound, my 'bands' thought differently!
    Website Soundcloud Email

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by towifer View Post
    Man we are all too similar when it comes to this! I'm glad I did the gigs because they were with some of my best friends at the time and I loved gigging all over the country, but recording was the bane of my existence! As far as i'm concerned when I record a band the drummer along with my opinion as the producer decides how the kit should sound, my 'bands' thought differently!
    Drummers opinion doesn't mean shit!!!!

:trollface:
    MixCloud | OneSheet

Quote Originally Posted by Jingr View Post
    Was in a handful of bands, but started to play with EDM because getting a group of people to coordinate is a lot more difficult than to work on things on my own the way I want to do it. I enjoy this a lot more.
    Me too.

Never played anything in my life apart from Turntables/CDJ's. Never had an interest in anything apart from DJ'n.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast