No Computers this time!
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default No Computers this time!

So a small thing kind of bugged me recently.

We have a core group of about 12 of us that run a G/I night on Saturdays. We all kind of rotate in and out into the sets (2 different DJs each week).

All of the DJs use CDs, and I'm the only Digital DJ. Recently we had a meeting and the guy in charge said "This month I want none of us to use computers. Lets go oldschool. So no computers this month guys."

My reply was, "So we're all going to break out our vinyl collections for an oldschool month? I'm down! I've got tons of great industrial/synthpop/goth on vinyl!"

response: "ohh no, we don't play vinyl really, We've all got way more music on CD than Vinyl"

me: *confused* uhhh.....

----
    I mean, since I'm the only digital DJ, it's like they've all crippled me, with none of them having to change a SINGLE thing. I'm a bit confused as to why they even want me to not use my computer. I mean, yes when I first got into town I used vinyl and CDs just to 'prove' myself because I didn't want to deal with the discrimination of being a digital dj right off the bat in a new city. But now I've solidified my place as a top DJ...and they want to cripple my ability to perform?

What the heck is that?
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, I've had these same conversations.

I wish there was something I could say of how to get this shit to end for us (especially in the goth/industrial scene). I'd say "Well, find, I won't spin this month then." I believe you're as good as you say you are, so make them work twice or three times as hard cause you're not there.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Burn your material on CD and call it a day. If not, bring your vinyl and do a oldschool set, and promote it as a "Old School Set By RSDJ Moniker! 100% Vinyl!" FTW

CD's IMO are a waste of space, oil, and dont let me get started on burning cds and the setting them up in order, blah, blah, blah. When it comes down to using round things that spin around I prefer vinyl.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I'd outdo them and spin on dual cassette decks or even bust out a Reel to Reel and maybe an 808; all the while, giving them the finger... but then again, that's just me

Tech Guru

Sounds like they are hating on you because you are better than them, challenge all their skills, then replace all their cd's with cd's filled with "never gonna give you up" and rick roll ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by Damien1138 View Post
    I'd outdo them and spin on dual cassette decks or even bust out a Reel to Reel and maybe an 808; all the while, giving them the finger... but then again, that's just me
    This is a personal insult, though. Just outdoing them doesn't prove anything. They still win, and now Monika has to work even harder to "prove" herself, which is pointless cause the end result is all that matters.

If they were all gonna make sacrifices everyone here would be happy for em. But they aren't.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Damien: your attitude doesn't quite help. I understand you're full of hate, but at least in this thread, it's not welcome.

JesC: I actually did just that, I promoted an oldschool 100% vinyl set. I just think it's silly that they chose to cripple me, and they have to change nothing. Oh wait, its because 90% of them don't own any vinyl. As far as burning CDs, I really don't feel like wasting an entire weekend burning CDs and making tracklists, just because they for some reason want me to entertain less for a week?

Devil: I'll DJ, and I'll DJ with 3 turntables and my Access Virus. And show them that no matter how hard they try to cripple me I'm still a performer. But my real question is

"Why would they try to cripple me?" what does making me not use a computer accomplish, except deminish the performance? Had I not promoted the hell out of this as an 'all vinyl' night people would be freakin' disappointed that I wasn't using the guitar and doing the crazy controllerism/looping/mashups I normally do.

It just doesn't make sense....
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    If they were all gonna make sacrifices everyone here would be happy for em. But they aren't.
    Exactly, if EVERYONE was going to do all vinyl, I'd be 100% not insulted. But...now that I'm the only one that has to change something, it's directly targeted at me...and why? what's the point? what does it accomplish?
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

propose a fully digital night the next week, and see what they say to that. i think thats only fair.
    i think theyre threatened. work with that, perhaps instead of playin at this gig play somewhere else on the same night and try make that night bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

It's all ego. I stopped using CDs at my gig and it was suddenly forgotten that I ever did. I pulled mixes that no one could think of, on CDs. Now I spin on a laptop and I'm not a real DJ.

It's directly targeted at you. They are doing it cause they can. I am sure there's a sexist attitude here, as well as ego. "Hey, look at the girl mix on CDs. Doesn't sound as good as on her crazy rig does it? I'm sure that stuff does all the work."

I don't know these people, but I already don't like them.

propose a fully digital night the next week, and see what they say to that. i think thats only fair.
    YES! You want to be sure whether or not it's to cripple you? Do that. Watch them balk at the idea.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast