speakers blew out. looking for new ones
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert
    Rancho Palos Verdes, CA & Tucson, AZ (the U of A)

Default speakers blew out. looking for new ones

I know there are a bunch of threads on this, but I didn't really get a good answer? I've been using some Klipsch Ipod speakers and sub up until they blew out a few days ago. I'm lookin to get new ones I can use for casual house parties and for my own personal use, practice, etc since I don't have $700 to buy some real speakers and subs. Right now I'm thinking either

Alesis M1Active 320 USB Studio Monitor Pair

or...

MAUDIO AV20 STUDIO MONITOR

The MAUDIO's look kinda small? I want some decent bass support despite the fact they're in the 100+ price range. Would either of these be good enough? It's hard to choose without actually hearing them.

Thanks,
    Sean

P.S. Any suggestions to keep this blowing out thing from happening again?

Tech Wizard

Get some larger active monitors, a friend of mine uses behringers truth-series and he's a pro producer and a label owner so I guess he knows his stuff. Oh ya, they're loud enough too.

I have the Alesis M1 Active MKII and i love them

I had a similar problem, and bought these. Although you live in the US i believe, i'm sure you could find some stuff like this around online or something.

Not 100% legit, but they are loudd
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

KRK dude
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2

I had the Alesis M1Active 520 and they were good enough for a party with 60-80 people with loud clear music. Great choice on a budget!

BUT if you can get a pair of KRK Rokit 6"

Tech Convert
    Rancho Palos Verdes, CA & Tucson, AZ (the U of A)

Default go used MKII's or Rokit 5's or new M1Active 520's?

Quote Originally Posted by liam1895 View Post
    I had the Alesis M1Active 520 and they were good enough for a party with 60-80 people with loud clear music. Great choice on a budget!

BUT if you can get a pair of KRK Rokit 6"
    How was the low end? Can I avoid buying a sub with those?

Now, so far I'm between these:

Alesis Monitor One MKII's
    KRK Rokit 5's
    M1Active 520's

I wanna go with the cheapest one's that will still get the job done. Something tells me I'm gonna end up buying the M1Active 520's if I cant find a decent set of the others used..and cheap...heh

Tech Mentor

With 5' speakers you will end up buying a sub. Get at least 6', better would be 8'.
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

Quote Originally Posted by seanm500 View Post
    How was the low end? Can I avoid buying a sub with those?

Now, so far I'm between these:

Alesis Monitor One MKII's
    KRK Rokit 5's
    M1Active 520's

I wanna go with the cheapest one's that will still get the job done. Something tells me I'm gonna end up buying the M1Active 520's if I cant find a decent set of the others used..and cheap...heh
    My 520's monitors are sound and are actually better in the low end then my KRK's i think? They also got some fair volume for the price.

Bass is great for the money you pay for them too, Not at all that much noticeable from the KRK's.

I take it your playing alot of bassy shit??

KRKs are great with a 10s KRK sub but on their own the low end sucks. I have the 8s and without the sub I would take 5" monitors from tannoy or yamaha over them. Even the 10" KRKs have pathetic bass.

If you are doing parties I would just get one active speaker. Behringer is cheap but they don't sound too great. Look on craigslist for a used powered qsc speaker or something and go mono for now. monitors are a no no for anything other than monitoring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast