The loop recorder, does anyone actually use it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The loop recorder, does anyone actually use it?

The only time I ever use it is to turn it off when I accidentally turn it on on the S4 and it screws up my mix. Am I missing some awesome hidden potential or is it just a failed idea?

Tech Mentor

Would be pretty interested to see how many people do! I've not really experimented with it much yet either. Was thinking about mapping it to control some more effects.
    Macbook, S4, Novation Launchpad, Korg nanoKontrol, TSP2, Ableton 8.

The loop recorder is awesome! I use it quite a bit.

My laptop screen is a bit small, so I don't use the 4 decks screen since it takes up so much real estate. And I rarely have 3 actual tracks playing. It's more like 2 tracks and a sample or loop. For that it's perfect. I still pop into 4 deck mode when the need arises, but the loop recorder is the shit!

And it was also my work around before NI enabled key lock on the sample decks. Record your loop/sample in your preferred key with the recorder and then drop it in the sample decks. Voila!

I'm trying to use it as I think it could help my workflow. I hate having to switch layers on the decks to save a sample (as I have 5-8 cues set) so this is the best way I know around it. While I haven't done much mixing with it, it does help extend some 2 track transitions when I have to make that quick switch with both decks.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should re-think my workflow....
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

I use it every time I mix...

...because it's bound to a few super knob assignments. ;]
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

It took me quite a while to assign it, but now that it works properly I love it. Nice for buildups and instant-mashups. I'm not so fond of the sample-decks, but that might be because of using the maschine with tractor.
    I mix stuff on my things...

Nope. I hate it
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

I tried to set it up as a simple tool to overlay a small loop of a playing track (like I've seen Hawtin, Villalobos, Klock, Dettmann and Beyer do with a soundbite pro/xl) but the shortest length seems to be 4 counts.
    So I just setup buttons on my X1 to clone+loop 1/2/4 counts from deck A>C and B>D instead.
    Plus, I don't like how the send/return works on the X:42, so it really wasn't meant to be.

I use the DB4 looper to grab samples from playing tracks and use them on the off channels... Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    The only time I ever use it is to turn it off when I accidentally turn it on on the S4 and it screws up my mix. Am I missing some awesome hidden potential or is it just a failed idea?
    I use it in the same way you do, not a fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast