Why do timecode CDs suck?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why do timecode CDs suck?

Up til now I've used SSL with either vinyl or CDJs in HID mode, but I've got a gig coming up and the venue has a pair of DVJ-1000s so I can only use timecode CDs.

Not a problem I thought, I'll just burn myself a couple of serato control CDs and try them out with my 850s to see what the difference is. So am I doing something wrong? I knew it would be less accurate than HID, but I'm finding that when cueing up a track and trying to drop a cue on the 1, it runs back and forth past the point where I stop the platter. It also seems to jump a little on the GUI when pitch bending.

Is that normal? I've never had that problem with vinyl timecode, and I expected CDs to be as accurate if not better. I'm wondering if I've made some kind of schoolboy error with the settings.

I'd prefer just to use vinyl tbh, but the club's technics look absolutely shot to bits and I don't have a case for my carts n needles.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Don't want to be pushy lol but if anyone has ANY idea, even if it's just 'yeh, they suck a bit', I'd be very grateful. Going down there for a tryout in about an hour.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Hey mate. My only experience with timecoded cd's was with cdj800's and an sl1 box when I had serato 4 maybe 5 years ago. But I had no problems at all and to my knowledge they were equally as accurate as the vinyls were. Like I say it was a long time ago though.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Guru

it all depends on the CDJ. I had this same issue with CDJ-400's and Traktor, not with SSL however. This past weekend I was playing on someone elses gear, the CDJ's wouldn't cue at all. I'd have to go back to internal mode, set my cue with my mouse then hit play on time. It was a mess.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Weird, same thing happened with the club's DVJs. Not too much of a problem, just a bit annoying.

More frustrating was that the CDs I burnt last night wouldn't load on the DVJs, so I played for 20 minutes using just my X1 while the club manager and my mate struggled to burn new ones. Weird, they worked with my 850s.

Tech Guru

I hear ya man. They work great on my 400's and I am def. spoiled when using them in HID and internal. Works awesome.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

HID mode is fantastic.

This club is owned by the same company that owns the Oceana club chain, and I was amazed to discover that their standard setup across all venues is apparently (according to the manager, who used to work at Oceana Plymouth) a pair of DVJ-1000s (and a DJM-700 with an SL-3).

I would have thought that they'd at least have 850s or 900s; they have a separate lighting and video jock and no one can remember the last time anyone played a DVD in there. Then again, this place is probably last on the list for gear upgrades. The thursday DJ's pioneer sponsored so he brings his own 2000.

Ah, the perils of shit student clubs. Would have taken the Twitch but the manager's the kind of guy who would probably have laughed me out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Ah, the perils of shit student clubs. Would have taken the Twitch but the manager's the kind of guy who would probably have laughed me out the door.
    Lucky you've got 3 billion set up combinations available with all your gear!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

It has to do with the relative mode on the CD timecodes, when you hit CUE it doesnt reset back to the orignal cue point like it normal cdj would work.

For SSL the CD & vinyl timecodes are very different. Traktor Scratch has a hybrid abs/rel mode when you hit CUE on the CDJ it goes back to the 1st CUE point.

My best advice is REL mode and some type of midi controller to go back to your cue points or burn a personal copy of the vinyl timecode to cd. To get a wanna-be needle drop.

Also jkeep in mind that cdjs dont play nice all cdrs - TBH i think it cause they a DVJ's could be wrong. Also just buy a pair of the replacement cds is your use SSL on a regular basis.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

It also couldn't hurt to see if cdj timecode with traktor works out better...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast