Home DJ setups
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home DJ setups

Default Home DJ setups

Question to you guys with small or average sized homes. Why do you position your setup's to face away from a wall? In all of my apartments and houses I've ever lived in while DJing, I never did this due to the reason that I didn't have any rooms that were obscenely large. Setting things up to have a "booth" facing the "dancefloor" of the place never made sense to me. It only ended up taking away valuable living space.
    I'm really curious after looking at picture after picture of setups having the DJ's back to the wall... why do you guys do this? There is no obvious benefit of having things arranged like this for living purposes, so why is it that you do it? It genuinely has struck my curiosity for a while now.

As a young boy I was always attacked by clowns. I recently discovered that they are attracted to bass so you need to be able to see them coming. Remember, the best fun is safe fun.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

I put all my old stuffed animals in the middle of the room so I can pretend they all came to hear me play.
    I dress up Raggedy Ann like an Emo slut and I put some baking flour under Miss Piggy's nose.

No idea. Curious myself. Mine faces the wall as well.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

My setup faces against a window and to my yard, houses and hills thankfully. Personally, I'd try to face to an open space even if it took some room. Otherwise I'd feel "trapped" or in need of air/space if I was mixing against the wall...
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    I put all my old stuffed animals in the middle of the room so I can pretend they all came to hear me play.
    I dress up Raggedy Ann like an Emo slut and I put some baking flour under Miss Piggy's nose.

No idea. Curious myself. Mine faces the wall as well.
    I'm at starbucks right now, laughing my ass off out loud because of you.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Guru

I think its to strengthen/bruise your DJ ego by making you constantly stare at an empty room and remind you that you should be at a place with people.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

I would rather rather look out into my living room than stare at a wall, it is less isolating and I enjoy using my setup and mixing more and find I do it more often and for longer. It is also more social when I have friends over who are into DJing and music and we are messing around so people have a place to sit and chill while someone else is mixing and no one has their back to each other.

It also looks a lot better that way especially in a small space like the DJ console was a planned part of the space and not just thrown up against an available free wall. I don't imagine it as a dance floor but it is fun to just chill, sit around and listen to music.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 10-11-2011 at 10:20 PM.

So that people can't sneak up on me when I'm completely deaf, zoned out and facing a wall.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Facing the room.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    So that people can't sneak up on me when I'm completely deaf, zoned out and facing a wall.
    You have no idea how many times this has happened to me.

But, yeah, facing the room definitely. Hopefully with some view out the windows But in the end who cares about the windows, cos you can't see sh8t once it gets dark out.

facing the room, some mates with beer, chickies with stoogies, or just yer terrified cat doing the radar ears.
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast