Turning down gigs...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Turning down gigs...

So I just had a call from a venue i played 2 or 3 weeks ago asking if i could come along and DJ tonight. I asked if it would be the same fee as last time (only £75 for 4 hours which i thought was very reasonable), they said no it wont be paid! It was a fun gig last time and although i played mainly top 40 stuff i had the freedom to throw in whatever i wanted. So i felt kinda silly turning them down, I have nothing better to do and will either be in mixing or out drinking tonight instead when id much rather play a gig.

I politely declined, made some excuses. But I kinda feel I should have questioned it, made a bit of a fuss and asked how they thought they could get away with not paying their DJ's one week and paying them the next!

What have you guys done in these situations??
    HP Envy 14 - EKS Otus - 2 x Midifighter Classics - Midifighter 3D - Korg KM202 - X Session Pro - M-Audio AV40

- http://soundcloud.com/joshlomas -

They're trying their luck. If they paid you before, make sure they pay you every time you play.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

yep you can play at home for free and not have to pack/carry/set up. if you accept for free they will probably call you up next week offering to let you pay them for a chance to play there.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

yup I gotta agree. You gotta draw a line in the sand. Your time is valuable. Especially since you already played once and got paid.

Banned

Whatever one else said, and I would have been honest with them. Just say you don't play for free, simple as that.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by captcha View Post

What have you guys done in these situations??
    tell 'em to fuck off... artists need to get paid.

[youtube]uYMnAUGFuG0[/youtube]

5char

Banned

Should sample that and make a track out it

Inquire if the rest of the staff would be working for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Should sample that and make a track out it
    I've thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Inquire if the rest of the staff would be working for free.
    The sad thing is that a lot of them basically are. Minimum wage for bartenders and servers in the US is like $2.15/hr. They make money entirely based on tips. But, as far as the venue is concerned…bartenders and servers are basically working for free.

Bouncers typically get paid. But they're also required by law a lot of places and by insurance policies everywhere.

So…as much as you're right, that argument might not fly at all.

This one could…http://local1000.com/members/dues-fees-scales

There are musicians performers unions around…that was just the first one that came up. Even if you're not a member, it's probably worth having a clue about it so you can claim something resembling fair wages. A few years ago, one of the other unions set minimum wages as $75/hr for each performer. Minimum. There are also unions for roadies and sound techs…and if you're bringing your gear and running your sound, that's another several jobs you're doing.

Realistically…if you're going to be performing somewhere…either you're going to get something out of it (notoriety, your first chance to play, free entry for friends and a free bar tab, something…) or you're going to get paid. Acting otherwise makes the world a worse place for musicians.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast