Rookie needs advice!
    Tech Student

Default Rookie needs advice!

hello people

for the last 4 months ive been creating mixes with the M-Audio X-Session pro on Torq LE. i feel like im starting to out grow it a bit, and torq is also starting to piss me off. i downloaded torq 2.0 and my macpro wasnt having ne of it. It kept crashing and shiz, i think it got confused cause i have little bits of torq LE hiding in my hardrive (cue points saved with tracks etc). i also tried the traktor demo, which i was struggling to use as i only have my pitiful X-session pro and an axiom 25 synth.

anyways, i wanna start gettin into some serious DJing. im a rookie when it comes to hardware but i know the basics of software. At the moment i posses my trusty X-session pro, a Axiom-25 and a Saffire 6 USB interface. i mainly mix drum and bass, but dabble with house and dubstep.

what software should i get? serato, traktor or what? and what hardware should i be looking to get next?
    i want to know what the next step up is.

im also a poor student so cant be splashing the cash too much

thanks

Tech Guru

try out mixxx and see what you think its free and not too bad.... costs nothing to give it a go then uninstall it if its not for you...
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Welcome!

For the software question, you'll see that a lot of people here are mixing on Traktor, which a smaller part of the population using Serato or Ableton Live. The software you choose depends on what you want to do. If you want to do strictly 2 deck vinyl mixing, then serato is a good option. Traktor is good if you want to do more non-traditional mixing, such as using effects, 4 deck mixing, or launching samples. It's good if you want to use MIDI controllers that you can fully customize. There's no right or wrong answer, just depends on what you're looking to get out of the software.

For your hardware, you need to be a little more specific about your price range. "Too much money" is really ballpark and people can give different interpretations. What's your range? And it depends on what you want to do with your hardware. Do you want to scratch? Trigger loops? Effects? Plus also do a little quick search in the forum for threads like these. There have been thousands of people asking the same question you are. That's why a lot of people will just ignore this because they've seen it so many times, but I couldn't because you still asked for help

But look around the forum, watch videos on youtube on controllers and what they're capable, but the best advice for hardware I can tell you is to go down to a local store and try gear out.
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

oh my god. that was the nicest reply to a noob question i've ever seen.

Tech Guru

also check out www.digitaldjtips.com for beginner stuff and check out all the main posts (im not affiliated with them in anyway and love djtechtools) they seem to update there main blog everyday which djtt dont do and is mainly advertisements these days...
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    what software should i get? serato, traktor or what? and what hardware should i be looking to get next?
    Do some research. I hear the internet is a good, searchable source of information.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by strategicsilence View Post
    oh my god. that was the nicest reply to a noob question i've ever seen.
    HAHA we've all been there, but I was just in a good mood.

Oh, and I'd recommend getting something with jogs and pitchfaders so you can learn to beatmatch. Beatmatching can come in handy.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Oh, and I'd recommend getting something with jogs and pitchfaders so you can learn to beatmatch. Beatmatching can come in handy.
    +1. Started on a mixtrack and practised beatmatching with the low-res pitch faders it had, so when I got my TT's it wasn't like starting from scratch.

If you ever plan on upgrading gear to CDJ's or TT's it's a must.

Tech Student

wckd , thanks for help everyone