Advice for playing with a bigger named DJ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

Stink bombs works 99% of the time

Tech Mentor

i haven't been in this exact spot personally so take this fwiw.

people will come to your room for the following reasons:
    - some people will come to your room because they don't wanna hang in the overcrowded main. there will be easier bar access on the side floor, more space to dance, etc.
    - people may wander around to check out what else is going on, to chill out a little, to find a bathroom, to find their friends, etc.
    - they might find the music in the main to peak-time-ish, boring, sh**tty, or whatever and wanna listen to something more groovy, more mellow, or more whatever
    - most people drink and some people do drugs in clubs. if they like what you're playing, they might forget that's there's some superstar DJ in the main for which they paid $$$ cover charge.

idk. i would start somewhat more mellow, less banging. and then, it depends who hangs around in your room. i've seen plenty of parties where the small room rocked more than the main. bring some friends to get the party started.

but look at the crowd. follow what previous posters suggested. if the room is only half-full and people look like they want to chill, then keep the music melodic and don't get too hard.
    Last edited by itskindahot; 10-17-2011 at 10:51 AM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    he's not opening, he's playing in the same venue on a different floor.

And my advice? Just wait and see who comes. Honestly. You aren't going to draw a crowd by playing certain tracks. People are being drawn before hand to see this "big name." You're there to get the people who either A) don't like the other guy b) don't want to see the bigger act c) some other reason.

Just see who shows up and play accordingly. You will not get yourself noticed by trying to compete, because you can't. It is not possible. You have no brand to sell, you're just another DJ. That's not to say you can't play good music or hits but don't at all try and compete. It just won't work. Just read the crowd, see what they want.
    Pretty much this. Unless I was told otherwise I would assume i was there to give the people that don't like what the other DJ is playing something else to hear. So if you play the same type of set then people will leave the club and go somewhere else to buy their drinks. .
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by Itchy Gash View Post
    Stink bombs works 99% of the time
    Yes! If you pay me I can arrange this.

Thanks for the advice. I played some downtempo, minimal and tech house which was a nice change of pace. The other dj had to borrow cables from me so i Got a chance to talk to him at the end of the night. So i Think it All worked out in the end :-)

Who was it! lol

Tech Wizard

also dying to know lol

If the crowd isn't down with the oldschool, and they wanna hear some grimy glitchy tunes, they will come listen to you. The first Rave I was at, there was a bigger name DJ spinning a mix of jungle and metal in the main area, and a lesser name DJ playing hard house in the smaller area. I went to the hard house because that's what I wanted to hear. Play good tracks, play well and have fun, and the crowd will come to you. If they don't, no shame when the alternative is a big name.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12