Understanding the Belvario Smart Mixer Concept
    Tech Guru

Default Understanding the Belvario Smart Mixer Concept

Last night I decided I was going to get started setting up smart mixing traktor with ableton (mac) mostly for fx, and so that I could set up compression. I wanted to make sure I understood the concept (Belvario's). It seems to me that he is running three different tracks through three suppressor key busses, which are eq'd to pass low, mid and high, and each of these sends the respective signal range of the song assigned to it to the suppressor bands, which suppress that content in the other two songs, so as to give a certain song any frequency it needs and eliminate the sounds of that frequency from the other songs over a frequency range respective to its key bus (lo, mid or hi). If it seems like I am correct, (if not please correct me) can anyone point me to other threads or guides on this issue as I feel like there is such a vast depth of knowledge to understand, and while I am reading the sound reinforcement handbook to learn all this stuff, I am looking for quickly applicable focused knowledge on this subject, if there is any.

I believe moldover has a video explaining his controllerism setup that would be able to help you.
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    It seems to me that he is running three different tracks through three suppressor key busses, which are eq'd to pass low, mid and high, and each of these sends the respective signal range of the song assigned to it to the suppressor bands...
    Multi-band compression. It's a good way to mix two signals, especially if they are bass-heavy without causing unnatural drops in perceived loudness. It's a real cutting edge technique as multiband compressors haven't been around for long and the sound people I know are only just getting their heads around it.

Tell us what you find out. Live 8 (when it comes out) will have a multiband compressor as standard, so you can show us what to look forward to!

Tech Guru

Yea, I think I have finally got it, it dynamically cuts the freqs of song b that match the freqs of song a in its dominant range to prevent addition of waves with the same frequency. I plan to do more research and hopefully develop the concept further this is the kinda stuff that fascinates me (the thinking behind it). I have read that this causes a coloring of the sound that gives an fx like quality, (inherent in the design of the belvario system) but obviously that isn't always wanted. Can anyone elaborate on this fundamental flaw as I have yet to setup and test the belvario system and even then it would be nice to know what to look for in advance/have an understanding of why it is happening. Also has anyone seen any solutions, if not I would love to work on developing my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    Live 8 (when it comes out) will have a multiband compressor as standard, so you can show us what to look forward to!
    it sure does and it is good fun -- the live 8 beta is open to all live 7 license holders now (not just the previous slot-based beta-seed allocation) for anyone looking to join up and give it a go.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2893

I have already started work on a new smartmixer in Live 7 - its alot better than the Belvario smartmixer and doesnt cause phasing issues. Keep an eye out for it on the blog, ive spent alot of time developing this. Its much better than the Belvario Smartmixer which causes all sorts of phasing issues - infact it causes no phasing issues. If you want to take part of the testing PM me - getting decent feedback on this has been extremely difficult.