Recording a demo

Default Recording a demo

Hi,
    I am going to apply for a slot on a webradio, but before they "hire" me, i have to show what i'm capable of in a 60 minutes mix.

As i don't have any crowd to read, and the mix has to reflect my tastes and my skills, i don't really know how to do it.

Do you guys prepare everything ? Where do you start the transitions, what effects on which part of each songs etc ?
    Or do you just prepare a tracklist and you see what comes out ?
    Or maybe you don't prepare anything at all and just do it on the go ?

Another thing i wonder is how many tracks should i put in 60 mix. I'm really into electro house/moombahcore/dubstep(a bit), and i know really know how long should every track last. I tend to naturally let the 2 buildups and drops on every track, but do you think that for a demo i should mix "quicker" ?

To get the feel for a DJ, I prefer a shorter mixtape with a lot of tracks(i.e. mix quicker).

I usually grab 7-10 tracks + 2-4 acapellas and record 2 or 3 different sets. It normally give at least one good 20 minute mixtape.

I'd do around 40 tracks, but about 10 would probably be used in the first 1-2 minutes as samples and such for an intro. I would probably plan and practice the first 2 minutes, then just use tracks I knew decently and wing it from there. Good luck!

Thanks for your input guys.

@Mix:d i don't have much of a choice here, they ask for a 60 min mix that's it

Buy a webcam. And stream it and play off what that "crowd" is feeling. It's really my the same tho.

My hr mixes are like 25-40 tracks depending in when I'm mixing. Try layering more or dropping the breakdowns over choruses so that one starts to breakdown as the other drops
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

My two hour sets are 20 or so tracks.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    My two hour sets are 20 or so tracks.
    Deep house is quite a bit away from quick hit and run EDM.

For an hour setlist im looking at 30-50 tracks, some only playing for a few seconds as a sample

Id probably have a proper intro sorted, 3/4 decks quickly in out sample acappella boom! for about 10-20 minutes then show off your technical skills for the rest.

But yeah not having a crowd sucks, most of the mixtapes i put up on mixcloud are just snippets from me performing at several gigs. Not done a proper mixtape in a while
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Buy a webcam. And stream it and play off what that "crowd" is feeling. It's really my the same tho.
    wtf ?
    I have to record a set for an online radio so that they hire me, and allow me to play on their radio. who do you want me to stream my mix to ?

3/4 decks quickly in out sample acappella boom! for about 10-20 minutes
    Well i don't know what to think about this
    First i'm not used to do this, i'm not into beat juggling etc, but yeah i think i can manage to go a bit crazy with some samples i got. But is that what an online radio owner is looking for ? I don't want him to say "ok, you are good, but that doesn't fit"

anyway thanks for the replies

Tech Mentor

Well.... there really shouldn't be a formula... Treat it like your preparing for a live show in a city you've never played in before... study your target audience. In this case look at what the other radio DJs are doing, look for any audience reactions in the comment sections and take note what people react favorably to.

Don't go so crazy in the beginning that you loose fluidity. However, remember that people's attention spans are super short these days; so try and make smooth transitions between noticeably different tune at no less than 1.5 - 2 min intervals for the first 15 mins.... after that develop on those first tunes throughout the rest of your set.. since its radio the set shouldn't be bangers the whole way through.. but the energy level should smoothly transition up and down consistently, but also frequently enough to keep peoples interest.

so try and make smooth transitions between noticeably different tune at no less than 1.5 - 2 min intervals for the first 15 mins
    i dont get it
    transitions every 2 mins or less or transitions after 2 mins or more
    Logic would be the first choice but i'm confused here

people's attention spans are super short these days
    Yeah, you are right, if i had to sum up all i've learn from the gigs i played at is that : people want bangers for openers.
    well i'm generally playing for under 23 years old people, so that explain why it woks well.

look at what the other radio DJs are doing, look for any audience reactions in the comment sections and take note what people react favorably to.
    super nice idea

Thank you guys, i'll work on that this week and i hope to show up next week with a nice 1 hour set in the "mixes and productions" section.
    I'll need your opinion before i submit it to them