Serato ? sounds nice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Serato ? sounds nice

Hi guys,

I'm currently using Traktor Pro 2 with my CDJs 350 as midi controllers.
    Looking around, i found that alot of professional djs are using Serato instead of Traktor.
    I don't wanna start a Serato vs Traktor war, but i would like some info. I know DJTT had already made a blog on that but it's from January 25th, and Traktor Pro 2 was not out at this time so it's obsolete.

So yeah, can you give me the pros and cons of Serato over Traktor ?

Now that i gain some level, i'm likely to play at many gigs, and Traktor and it's mapping is a bit of a problem, it's not like Serato, you plug the soundcard, it's over.

Another question and it's over, what's the difference between SL1 SL2 SL3 and SL4 ? The number of decks ?
    Let's say i have 3 decks, that means i have to buy SL3 ?

Really need your experience on that guys

EDIT : just so that is clear : i'm using MIDI with Traktor, but if i go for Serato, it will be with Timecode CDs.
    Last edited by dope; 10-18-2011 at 11:55 AM.

SL1 = Old SL2. 2 decks, supposedly the sound quality wasn't as good as the other cards. No longer in production.
    SL2 = New SL1, smaller, better sound quality. Cheaper I believe too.
    SL3 = 3 decks. Really quite expensive though... Not sure I'd want to pay that much just for 3 stereo ins+outs... Then again that's what you get with Rane's interfaces.
    SL4 = Fricken sweet but requires you to sell you house to afford it. 4 decks or 2 sets of 2 decks between 2 laptops

You know if you buy traktor scratch controllers it works exactly the same as serato, right? With both you just plug your respective soundcard in and you're good to go as far as DVS is concerned.

I'd say it's more of a personal issue if you're going for DVS, find out which piece of software suits you more and you feel more comfortable with. The two basically do exactly the same thing...
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Yeah i knew about TSP2, i just forgot to mention it
    What about the pros/cons between Traktor and Serato. I'm currently googling for a comparaison but i wish i could have some real personnal input from you guys

Thank you for your SSL description by the way.

Full Disclosure: I came out on the Traktor Pro (non-timecode) side of things.

I've bought and sold SSL twice. Personally, I think using it with CDs, especially CDJs that IIRC can't scratch…is a joke. If you're going to incorporate Ableton with Bridge, that could be one very good reason to use it, but you won't get much out of that unless you also produce and are trying to incorporate Live as a hybrid DJ/live act.

Both pieces of software are stable and useable.

SSL has a slightly better reputation mostly because its early versions were in some ways better than Final Scratch 2 and certainly FS1.5 and FS1.

Other than that, it's small differences and preference. SSL doesn't have sync anywhere…which doesn't matter for most things, but it matters if you want to put a loop in SP-6. But…it incorporates Live, so that's not as big of an issue as you'd think…if you're willing to buy Live as well.

I think SSL is a lot prettier and has a more straightforward UI, but it really does seem like it can do less.

And you can use controllers with SSL too…it's just that it doesn't support sync, so you're beat matching with some kind of controller. That's not a huge deal…Nadastrom uses SSL without time code, to my knowledge, and I don't think they use controllers either…so they're beat matching manually with the keyboard.

I think SSL's biggest selling point is that Traktor is more complicated to get a lot out of…whereas SSL kind of just works as long as you can deal with the whole using time code thing. That and it came out first. Other than that…just watch as many videos as you can and one of them will look like a better idea than the other.

Note it's not really beat matching if you don't want to- it's just moving a pitch fader until two lines meet up and then maybe nudging it a little if it sounds slightly off. (cheaters :P)

There really isn't much in the way of pros/cons between the two, but differences... Take a look at the product page and bring any particular questions you have. Anyways, if you do decide to get SSL I'd recommend using HID over timecode CDs.

As for personal experience, I've had both but chose TSP ultimately. If I only cared about using plain 2 deck DVS, I'd give SSL a slight nod for better file management and the ability to name cue points, but for the most part the two are the same. There's a difference in the way the two sound when scratching due to the different waveform frequencies used for the timecode signals, but neither sounds "bad" and I would have never noticed if I hadn't played with them side by side. I stuck with Traktor because:
    A) I would be using it anyways for my all digital setup and there aren't enough differences to warrant keeping another system
    B) There are absolutely no options for audio routing with SSL and no syncing with other programs. You can run the software audio channels out of your Rane soundcard, and that's it. This also means that "The Bridge" is essentially dumbed down to a clip launcher since you can't route the SSL decks through Ableton.
    C) MIDI mapping limitations. This is actually a pro for many people, as it is very easy to map the basic, visible functions via MIDI learn in SSL, but Traktor allows much more depth for this.

Thank you guys. I think i'll find a place where i can try both TSP2 and SSL.

@DigitalDevil : I think that HID is better than Timecode of a home setup. The thing is that if i have the opportunity to play at a bar/club/festival/whatever, i don't want to be screwed with mapping etc. Timecodes allows flexibilty to me.
    Last edited by dope; 10-18-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Personally, I really prefer the GUI of SSL over Traktor. I've used both, and while I don't own either /yet/ it's something that's really caught with me.

The big thing that some people love about Traktor over SSL, is the ability IF YOU WANT TO, you CAN sync. Now this creates the need to beatgrid all of your tracks, and that does take some prep time.

SSL is what it is. No prep time involved, except analyzing the tracks. And that's a big winner for a lot of people right there.

Some really like the side-by-side visual reference, others couldn't care less for it. I like it, and I think it's a solid thing to use instead of sync. It's still a tool/crutch though, and no matter what software you are using, you don't want to be staring at the screen the whole time.

I'm still in the process of saving cash to buy a decent audio interface/software package myself. I've seen and used both Traktor and SSL, and I have to say, honestly, I prefer Serato.

If I was more into using controllers rather than running timecode via turntables, I think Traktor might be a bigger winner. But as I'm not doing anything complex, the simplicity of SSL works for me.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Note it's not really beat matching if you don't want to- it's just moving a pitch fader until two lines meet up and then maybe nudging it a little if it sounds slightly off. (cheaters :P)
    How is that not beat matching? Beat matching is just moving a pitch fader until two rhythms match up and then maybe nudging it a little when it sounds slightly off.

Seriously…I don't understand the difference. It's just that the computer's ears are quicker and more precise than yours are.

I more meant beat matching as the act of using your ears to do the job rather than using a computer to tell you if it's correct or not, does that make sense?

I'm in no way anti-sync. It's awesome if you're into it.
    Last edited by MrPopinjay; 10-19-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast