Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread - Page 18
Page 18 of 113 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Hey guys,

I just want to say thanks for all the comments on this thread it really helps.

So now I just wanted to post something about the DB4 which I haven’t found researching on the internet. And this is just my opinion. I will never recommend any piece of gear to anyone. But first, let me tell you a bit about my DJ career, so you know where I’m coming from. This could get lengthy so if you’re not into reading just skip my post.

My Dad was a Radio DJ back in the 70s. I was about 7 when I first played a bible stories record on a Mickey Mouse turntable. When I saw Grand Master Flash scratching in a kitchen on tv, I knew it was something I wanted to do. So from a Mickey turntable to a DB4, I’ve gone through a lot of gear and spent a lot of time indoors. Now I enjoy playing EDM because that’s where the money is in my town. And was able to put myself through school and now have sound engineering degree. So I pretty much do this DJ thing to survive.

Anyway, I just bought the DB4 last Saturday and I can tell you that the sound really is above anything out there right now.

Before bringing this home I opened it up in the shop I bought it from, and hooked it up there. They’ve never had a DB4 in before so they were as curious as I was, plus my wife doesn’t appreciate these kinds of things. I didn’t have very many expectations due to the lack of hype on the net...well not like Pio hype anyway.

We played only vinyl and CD (cdj-2000) on it because that’s all they had for testing purposes. We were really impressed. Just for kicks we played the same vinyl and cds on the 68, 2000, 900, and the 92. Exactly, side by side. We had the sources hooked up to all the mixers all at the same time. The DB4 sound was much better, not significantly better than 68, but a completely different level than the Pios. I would say warmer sounding than all the others, but still not as good as the 92. But it did make any digital sources sound warmer, more pleasing to listen to, and can feel. Kind of hard to describe really, one would just have to experience this I guess.

Effects...WOW blew me out of the water. -maybe I’m exaggerating here, but that’s how I feel. It did convince the shop owner to have a floor model in as he’s quite confident he can sell these to the right kind of professional.

I know there are other reviews saying how great it sounds, but when we do installations we sometimes use other pieces of gear to optimize sound in the space required. So if you’re going to get this mixer to take to the club for the sound of it….don’t bother.

Layout is good, but I had trouble picking which effects I liked. I think I would have to pick them and set them before a gig. There seems to be a learning curve here to really work this, but it really is a smart design. All the white on the mixer is black-light reactive, if anyone is interested in knowing.

Knobs and Faders do feel good, and feel like they would last a long time. Some knobs seemed stiff to me, but I think they’ll loosen up after a while. The CrossFader..eh not good for scratching. Doable, with practice though. Having an up close look, it does look like the crossfader is part of the main circuit board. I’m going to assume you can’t get an Innofader in it without cutting and soldering some wires. The “plug and play” thing is questionable as I’m way too chicken to open the unit up. I’ll try doing it after the warranty is up. Or wait for someone else to do it first.

I found no defects in this unit… yet, so far… Even after having a friend run it through a scope to check thresholds and stuff, everything was acceptable.

I was disappointed to learn that not all the effects are there… yet. The vid’s I’ve seen with Mr. Rigby-Jones showing the mixer’s infinite list isn’t what I have, but I’m actually excited for more FX in the future. If you’re familiar with the iLive then you can somewhat speculate what’s in store for the future. And by all means, if you have ideas on what you’d like to have in the new firmware, contact A&H.

I think, if you’re into producing, this mixer is definitely for you. It consolidates a few pieces of gear. If you’re doing the club thing, then maybe get the Pio’s or whatever they have. Though, I don’t think anyone even has to go that far. I go to the club during the day, when they’re closed, and practice. Or practice after everyone has gone home. Or practice at someone else’s house; who spent the money. Bedroom guys…uh, well….When I was younger I would dream about getting the latest and greatest all the time. Heck, I used to dream about getting the Bozak. If you can afford to buy things like this without conscience,… or just plain WANT it, then just get the gear you want, because you’ll just lust over it until the day you put the money down..

For the moment, I’m glad I bought it. And now have something to say about it. I’m really sad that there isn’t much about this mixer on the net…not like the Pio, in that regard. And do believe what the “big names” are saying about this mixer now, as I was very skeptical before. I never trust advertisements, because I have no idea if people are getting paid to say good things about a product.

This mixer IS worth a try for anyone thinking about forking a wad of cash. You have to try it out and see for yourself really. See if it is for you. Always ask about a return policy if you do decide to buy. You can do all research before making a decision, but ultimately, until you physically touch the gear you want – to me, that’s the best way to decide.

I’m also going say that I don’t think this mixer is worth the heavy price tag if you are not going to use every feature it offers. One could easily do the same things by adding something else to the gear you already own.

If you guys have questions or want me to try something for you on this mixer, keep it in this thread.

LOL.....reminds of of the Charlie Sheen Comedy Roast.

"Enough with the WINNING.....I have already WON!"

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

@Rexx, your post just saved this thread from being relegated to 'Off Topic'

+100 Interwebs to you sir.

omg so guys waiting for the postman is so annoyin AM I RITE?

(back on track for off topic, yeah?)
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx View Post
    Hey guys,

I was disappointed to learn that not all the effects are there… yet. The vid’s I’ve seen with Mr. Rigby-Jones showing the mixer’s infinite list isn’t what I have, but I’m actually excited for more FX in the future. If you’re familiar with the iLive then you can somewhat speculate what’s in store for the future. And by all means, if you have ideas on what you’d like to have in the new firmware, contact A&H.
    Yeah where's Infrabass?

Tech Mentor

@kev - I didn't have to upgrade the firmware as 1.02 was in it already.

Theres a vid of A. Rigby-Jones at UK BPM 2010 (google this> Allen & Heath Xone DB4 - live demo at the UK BPM Show 2010 approx. 06:24mark) where he shows all the delay FX. There's somthing like a BP Delay 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. And much more. I don't have these. It looks like there's more reverbs and mods too. Worth a look anyway.

@Karlos Santos - it's a shame for this thread to go off-topic. It's the only active "English" thread I've seen on the net about this mixer. My french, spanish, and german vocab is terrible and I probably sound mentally challenged on those sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx View Post
    @kev - I didn't have to upgrade the firmware as 1.02 was in it already.

Theres a vid of A. Rigby-Jones at UK BPM 2010 (google this> Allen & Heath Xone DB4 - live demo at the UK BPM Show 2010 approx. 06:24mark) where he shows all the delay FX. There's somthing like a BP Delay 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. And much more. I don't have these. It looks like there's more reverbs and mods too. Worth a look anyway.

@Karlos Santos - it's a shame for this thread to go off-topic. It's the only active "English" thread I've seen on the net about this mixer. My french, spanish, and german vocab is terrible and I probably sound mentally challenged on those sites.
    there is this one too: http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=119084

Tech Mentor

@Xone - Yah I saw that thread, but chose to stay out of there. I'm not a Traktor or NI user and this one is strictly about the gear...sort of.

So far seems to be functioning as it should. I have only played vinyl through it so far though- it's really nice having such accurate BPM detection and loopers when playing records.

Could you try it out with some heavy and erratic breakcore + jungle and see how well it picks it up?

Like bong-ra - murda you. Should be 168 bpm I believe. Try it with the intro which is more basic and then reset the bpm thnigy try it from the drop? Plz?
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!