Midi djs

Thread: Midi djs

Default Midi djs

Hey guys,

I'm still getting myself in to this whole midi dj stuff and I just want to get my head round the idea of being a dj who uses midi equipment.

I have a korg pad kontroll set up as a midi fighter, if I used the functions available sync etc, is this frowned upon. Where does the skill come from and how can I be more unique with what I do. I have this stereotypical perception of having to beat match with 2 CDs or turntables, or am I completely wrong.

I'm just trying to understand what people do as I'm not friends with many djs who are willing to show me the ropes.

Any help and information would be amazing!

Thanks

Tech Mentor

I think you will ask that question to yourself, will you feel like you are cheating when you hit sync? Otherwise If people are dancing, they don't care if you are playing music through a microwave.

edit to that;

I did a showcase with a complete midi setup, people were pretty happy with mixing and song selection, and also did a party last friday for 5 hours straight, everything on the fly and people went nuts and yes I use sync.

Tech Mentor

Other than other traktor djs, who's going to know your using sync?
    And these days who cares? If using sync will make your mixes sounds better, than rock on!!

I think alot of DJs would suggest learning to beat match. You can learn on a midi controller that has jog wheels, cdj's, or turntables. There are a few threads already about the subject.
    If you can beat match, then you can mix into the previous DJ's last song, you are more versatile as you could hop on cdj's if you had to also.

It also depends on where you plan on playing. Some club owners and promoters will only give you a try if you are a turntable or cdj DJ.

That being said, I use sync an midi controllers. At the present time I have no plans on playing any club/bar where it would be a problem. I am also not looking to dj as a career. If I was then I would take the time and learn to beatmatch. I would also get practice time on cdj's or get a digital vinyl set up. So it depends on what you want to do. There is alot to learn besides beatmatching, so I would say learn all you can with what you have, and go from there.
    There will always be some haters out there, so no matter what you use, learn to kick ass with it so you can shut them up.

Tech Wizard

Sync is fine. So is beat mashing, looping, dropping doubles while having only one copy of a song. It is how you use the tools that matter, no matter what the tools are.

Thanks fOr the replies! I can beat match and I do own cdjs! But I am already bored of just mixing music I want to be more creative which is why I'm looking down the midi live route.

My beat matching and djing skills are no where near Perfect, but I have two gigs coming up in clubs which I wasn't sure I would be safe using midi features such as sync because let's face it doing everything you can with midi controllers at the same time as beat matching would be possible for someone like myself who is still learning.

I'm considering to purchase an audio dj sound card so I can hook my cdjs up to traitor and use my pad kontroll along side. If sync needs to come along sometimes then fair enough.

I assume this is a good stance to take?

wouldn't*