New guy looking for guidance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New guy looking for guidance

Hey guys first post here and just looking for some help.

I have been around audio (mostly car and home audio) for quite some time. Recently i decided to get into pro audio and looking into doing some dj'ing. I have ordered the following:

2 Peavey PV215
    QSC GX5
    Numark Mixdeck

My first time setting this up will be Halloween weekend. My fraternity is throwing a party and im in charge of the music. Im not expecting to get out there and have crazy mixes or even really mixing anything. Basically i just want to set it all up and get the feel and basically just play music straight from my Macbook Pro.

I have done reading everywhere and i realize the mixdeck comes with traktor which seems decent to use and get music from?

Basically this is my first time venturing into this area of music so i could use some help. I just have basic questions like, do i just use my music i already have on my comp and transfer it to traktor? Any tips or anything i need to know?

I know this equipment is a bit over the top for someone who is brand new and just learning and i realize if i do this in my bedroom im gonna need some smaller speakers to listen to, but i figure since i have already ordered it i need to learn how to properly use it all. Im not a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff i just need a bit of guidance in the right direction. Thanks.

Tech Wizard

With your music collection, you just need to point Traktor to the location of your MP3s and have it do an import. Depending on how large your collection is this may take some time as Traktor analyzes each song to get an idea of BPM and beat markers. The good news is you only need to do it once-- Traktor will save that info in your track collection and in the MP3 files themselves.

The biggest tip I have to offer is to start slow, find a few tracks from your collection you know very well and start mixing them together. As others will mention, practice beatmatching and fading from one song to the next-- for the songs you know well this shouldn't be too hard, you'll already likely know where the drops and fades are so you can experiment putting them together in different ways. Don't really worry about effects or any of that business immediately; get to know your track collection and how to mix them together first, then you can experiment with the other pieces.

I started this way about 6 years ago with 2 Technics and Final Scratch and those basics were the best way for me to start using Traktor to its fullest. Its not Traktor you really need to know, its your songs the rest will slowly come naturally.

Oh, and if you're planning to use Traktor a lot (especially with effects later down the line), consider buying the Traktor Bible. The several chapters on MIDI mapping alone make that book worth 10x its cost.

Good luck, and be sure to ask questions along the way when you're out of ideas, that's what we're here for (that, and making our own killer mixes)!
    -- 2 x Technics SL-1200, Numark DM950, Audio DJ 8, Dell Pentium M @1.4Ghz w/ 2G RAM, TSP 2
    -- Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Edirol PCR-1, Yamaha SU-10, Korg nanoKONTROL, Novation Launchpad, IBM ThinkPad Core-i3 @2.2Ghz w/ 4G RAM, TSP 2

^^ what he said. cant really say it much better. other than GRID/SYNC/Learn to mix (especially cause this is your first time, get your confidence first, then learn how to beatmatch).

from now (or whenever you get traktor) till the night of the party, instead of listening to music through itunes, use traktor and practice transitioning between tracks and become familiar with your "weapon of choice" so the night of its familiar to you. Also, watch as many videos and tutorials as possible (even people just mixing) as it will give you ideas and such to apply to your own mixing

and you wont need smaller speakers. use the ones you have in your frats basement. i spent many a weeknight alone in the basement of my frat (PKP) using the sound system practicing. if you got it you might as well use it.

and because its a frat party, just make sure to make the booze super strong and experiment and have fun, because everyones gonna be trashed anyways. Take some risks, play the crowd, and relax.

What kind of music do you listen to btw? what are you planning on mixing? give us some more info and we might be able to give you a bunch of quick tips or tricks that have been hard won lessons leanred over many hours behind the decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Thanks so much for the replies guys. Im anxious to get my equipment in and start learning and getting some ideas.

From what i have read mostly everything says to read the crowd and play off of them. Most of the guys in the fraternity listen to mostly rap, r&b, electric, house, etc.

The parties we have had, somebody will just put there ipod on, and its usually rap and electric music the majority of the time. I was planning on trying to cover mostly club style electric music, and rap (dance music). But i know some people will want me to play a few songs of country and other stuff so basically the music will kind of cover everything in my music collection.

My biggest concern is im not sure what other songs and genres of music i should get for the party. I know what i like but that doesnt necessarily translate into something people at a party will want to hear. Is there any websites that will suggest some good songs to look up or anything?

And one last question, when i have everything hooked up and the mixdeck hooked up to my Mac will i be able to play songs directly from Tracktor without having to mix them or anything? (Basically, is this gonna be almost like itunes where, if i want i can mix the songs but if not they will just play normally through traktor?)

I also have one more question, with the gear i got is that all i need for the upcoming party?

So far i have:
    Peavey pv215 speakers
    qsc gx5 amp
    Numark mixdeck
    2 xlr cables
    speaker wire

I see people running external soundcards on here and not sure if i need one or not. I will also be using my macbook Pro which is i think the 10.5 version (ill have to check) but is that gonna be sufficent enough for now?

And other than that question im still looking for ideas on music, that is my biggest concern as i dont want to run out of music and just have to throw on ipod on. I have lots of music downloaded on my comp but hardly any electric and house music, so any suggestions on where i could look for some music to play?

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12

listen to as many mixes in this thread as possible and the majority of them will post a track list.
    From there you can hear what you like and want to buy.

a good place to start buying is Beatport http://www.google.com.au/url?q=http:...5v3lVtE2FdQjBA
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

for tunes ... check here... http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26516

as for letting it mix itself? yeah, thats not gonna happen. youre gonna have to do it. unless you just plan on using itunes, in which case whats teh point of the mixdeck / being incharge of the music?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Thanks for the replies guys. Obviosuly i dont mean will the music mix itself, i meant since my first time dj'ing will be in about a week, obviously im not gonna be good at it or anywhere close to decent at it since ill only get to mess with the mixdeck for maybe a day or two.

So after transferring all my music to traktor, so i play one song that night and try my hand at mixing it a little, but then comes the next song on the list and i just want it to play and not mess with mixing it (just let it play like it was recorded) will traktor do that or do you have to consantly be mixing through traktor?

Im sure once i actually get the stuff in my hands i can figure it out all on my own but since i dont yet im still trying to figure all this out so it may sound really stupid to all you guys.

Tech Wizard

There is a cruise mode in traktor that lets it play the contents of a playlist with out you messing with it. I've never used it but the manual can probably tell you how. Sounds useful if you need a break.

Thanks that sounds like it will be helpful, i honestly have no clue what im doing as far as mixing so thats why i was wondering if theres a cruise mode or anything if i get overwhelmed. The more i read the more i start to understand about it but i just need it in front of me to actually see what to do, reading can only do so much for me.

Am i going to need a soundcard for my setup? I plan on hooking the amp to the mixdeck with xlr cables then habe the mixdeck connected to my Mac which will be using traktor for the time being. Just want to make sure i have eberything i need before next weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast