CDJs-1000 too much to start out with?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default CDJs-1000 too much to start out with?

Hey all, I am new and I really have my mind set to get into DJing and I had a question regarding my beginning equipment. So I looked around and decided I want to start with cd turntable equipment that will allow me to practice scratching and all the other good stuff.

I'm not rich or anything, but I've been saving up a good amount that I can use and I will be able to buy CDJ 1000's along with a beginning mixer and a little left over for speakers. Is this too much for my starting equipment? I figure that I am really committed to doing this so I wouldn't be wasting money in buying older equipment and just go straight to almost up to recent standards with CDJ 1000's so I can be comfortable with what clubs use. Am I being stupid or is this a good idea?

imho it's a good idea

since the new product line is released, the 1000's are not as expensive as they were at times where their were the top-products but have really good features and a really good QUALITY. (jog wheel, pitchfader parts are made of good quality material)

so if you are new to djing there are 2 good reasons for buying a reliable hardware:
    - if you stay with djing you have a material of a good quality to stick with it and don't be bored of your "crappy beginner gear" and have to buy something better

- if you don't stay with it you have a quality gear you can sell without much money-loss (the crappy beginner behringer gear is something nobody will buy from you after you used it the 2 months they were built for and are fucked up already ;D)

If you have the cash its a brilliant idea. The 1000 (mk3) is a fantastic deck and was (sometimes still is) industry standard deck in most clubs around the world so comfort would be gained quite quick.

I started with CDJ400's as my first CD decks and then sold and upgraded to 1000mk3s within a year and kinda wish i bought the mk3s straight away.

So as said, if you have the cash to splash go for it. But keep in mind if you are going to buy decent decks don't do a half job on the mixer either, make sure you get a decent mixer

Are the MK3s rekkordbox compatible? I haven't looked up anything Pioneer-related in a while...
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

No they're not... Only the 850, 900 and the 2000 because you need USB connection. But I never understood why they didn't make it compatible with the mk3's through the micro sd cards.
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

Quote Originally Posted by elio_xh View Post
    But I never understood why they didn't make it compatible with the mk3's through the micro sd cards.
    Gotta keep with the times. Stop supporting old models to force people to buy the new ones. Just like how iOS 5 isn't supported on my 2nd generation iPod Touch. :C

I could really go for some 350s right now, though...
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote Originally Posted by Onimode View Post
    Gotta keep with the times. Stop supporting old models to force people to buy the new ones. Just like how iOS 5 isn't supported on my 2nd generation iPod Touch. :C

I could really go for some 350s right now, though...
    Ya that's true. Damn businesses!

But about "only storing 3 cue points" per CD issues: If you put in a micro SD card, you can store up to 50,000 cue points, and it'll remember them every time you put in the same CD. So if you were going to dish out extra money to get a 900 or 2000 only for cues, just buy a $20 micro SD card. Then duplicate the data so you have the same cues for both CDJ's and you should be good.
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

Quote Originally Posted by elio_xh View Post
    No they're not... Only the 850, 900 and the 2000 because you need USB connection. But I never understood why they didn't make it compatible with the mk3's through the micro sd cards.
    3 words

spend more money

Do it.

Used CDJ-1000MK3s are the best decks around for the money if you don't mind burning CDs and not having USB.

You can get a pair on craigslist for $1000-$1100. Don't pay more than $1200 for a pair (hopefully with cases).

I wouldn't bother with CDJs unless they were 1000 MK3s, 2000s or 900s, and considering you can get a pair of 1000s for less than the price of one 900 or 2000, it's a pretty good deal.

Tech Convert

Wow thanks for all the helpful advice.
    Yeah, looks like I will buy the CDJ 1000s and a decent mixer.

On a side note, just found this forum and I'm loving the solid, useful advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast