First Mix Ever - Dubstep (Brostep)
    Tech Convert

Default First Mix Ever - Dubstep (Brostep)

Hi guys. I'm just starting DJing and I must say I like it. I'm saving up for a Vestax Typhoon at the moment so I can learn the basics before investing lots of money into a decent set of TTs. Anywho, without further ado, here is my first mix. Constructive criticism is always welcomed.

EDIT: Now that I have time, I'm putting the tracklist on here. Please enjoy and remember to give me some constructive criticism. I want to improve.

Here's a tracklist:
    1) Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
    2) Fenech Soler - Lies (Doctor P remix)
    3) Blame feat. Camilla Marie - Star (Doctor P remix)
    4) Document One - Clap
    5) Intense - Insert Title Here Dubstep VIP*

*Intense is a little-known dude that has released some pretty good stuff on Youtube. His name on there is palkab8 if you want to check his tunes out.
    Last edited by Simmtechs; 10-20-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Tech Convert

bump for teh editz

So, here is what i got to say about the mix. It might seem a bit harsh but i don't want to offend, and as you just got into djing we can't expect your mix to be perfect.

1) Traklist : You can't play chilled stuff after scary monsters and nice sprites. I mean, ok, a mix can go up and down in energy, but when you tease with such a banger as first track, then i was a bit dissapointed when the 2nd one came.
    It's especially true for short mixes, it has to go "crescendo"

2) Mixing : Not specific you a part but well, 5 tracks for 20 mins is not enough (i understand you are a beginner but you wanna be perfect so that's how )
    When you mix, you should have almost not a single moment when you are not doing anything and just waiting. I had the same problem, i try to correct it, but remember that you are not a jukebox changing tracks

3) First transition (3:50). Sounds akward, outro on a break, and i'm not sure it's perfectly beatmatched but i can't really tell, it's hard to feel the 2nd track bpm.
    Think that moving from a breack to another involves no beatmatching skills and no dj skills at all, it's just volume down for one track and volume up for the other. If you invested in gear, use it, don't go the easy way. Plus the fact that such a breakdown don't get the listener in a good and energic mood.

4) Second Transition (8:54) That one was nice, but you fade out track 2 in a too brutal way. You should do it slower, or if you want a quick cut, then you must do it at the right moment (at the drop most of the time).

What i would have done on track 2 is : loop on the snare, cut the lower frequencies with EQ, and then add progressively a delay.
    And then, at 9:08 cut it quickly, just before the 4 beat breack before the drop. Using a loop of the previous track to create a build up for the other track can sound super super nice. It's not easy to master, but well, you are here to

5) Transition between track 3 and 4 (12:52) : well, same thing i said on 3) about the break and the energy. I mean, breaks are cool, but if they are too big, it justs brakes the energy flow in the mix

6) Transition between track 4 and 5 : Too brutal fading out on track 4.
    I did this mistake too, when i started djing, i think that it's because you are not comfortable enough and then every transition is a challenge, and by fading out fast, you end the pressure quicker.

Also, i guess you learned beatmatching but you need to learn "phase matching". Aside matching bars, you have to insert a new track at the right moment, taking in account the global structure of the main track.
    I'm not a super good english spreaker and I lack vocabulary about beat/bars/counts or whatever so i can't really explain it, but someone will do it for sure
    I'll try to explain this by telling you when i would have hit the play button on track 5. At 17:57, after the "clap your hands". Boom hit play on track 5, insert it slowly with volume faders and EQ. (killing bass, and a bit of trebble, and then turning on bass and treble to their normal level progressively (or in a brutal way but always do this regarding to the track's structure)

I hope you got it all, and i repeat, i may seem harsh on the critics but i don't want to offend, you did well for a first recorded mix. Practice practice practice and don't hesitate to post your mixes here
    I won't always have the time to review them like this but i'll do my best.

EDIT : i found intresting videos for you about the phase mixing explaination
    1st one is more "mathematic" and 2nd one is more "visual". Hope it helps to get what i had trouble to explain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c9gik5JaXY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq-QyIoPc2o
    Last edited by dope; 10-20-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Tech Convert

Thanks man! Your criticism wasn't harsh at all. That is pretty much exactly the kind of response I wanted. I'm watching videos every day and practicing as much as I can. I won't have a true DJ setup until I save up and buy the Traktor S2. I think that would be a good controller to start on based on some youtube videos that I watched, and since it's a pretty good system you can use it for a long time.

I'll try to learn everything you said. It was a bit complicated but I can just keep on educating myself and I'll eventually know what it all (or most of it, at least) means. Thanks for taking the time to not only listen to my mix, but to give a good structured critique.

Tech Mentor

I just wanted to say that I think that it's awesome that "brostep" as a genre name is now being used non-pejoratively by people who DJ the style.

Reminds me of KRS-ONE :

"What go around come around I figure /
    Now we got white kids calling *themselves* 'nigga'"

Hehehe, it's awesome!
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomer View Post
    I just wanted to say that I think that it's awesome that "brostep" as a genre name is now being used non-pejoratively by people who DJ the style.

Reminds me of KRS-ONE :

"What go around come around I figure /
    Now we got white kids calling *themselves* 'nigga'"

Hehehe, it's awesome!
    Thanks haha. I just didn't want to stir up the elitist Dubstep bros. They get mad pissy if you try to call them out on their excuse to not listen to perfectly legitimate artists.