Good taste - such a thing?

Default Good taste - such a thing?

Is there such a thing as good taste in Music?

Do DJs who play IYO bad music piss you off?

Or is it a case of each to their own and leave the snobbery at the door?

I don't really understand the question.

But I does piss me off when a DJ playes music I don't like, or does shitty transitions.
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Banned

More than anything you have to put it into context I think.

If you go to an underground/contemporary house/techno club and end up hearing some commercial-esque electro house then you're damn straight I'd be pissed off. Vice versa as well.

Now of course, you won't like EVERY tune the DJ plays, no matter who they are or how good they maybe, but over all if you know what you're getting into and the DJ's stick to how the night is being promoted there's no reason for you to be disappointed.

And granted, if you're listening to some one who's a "tastemaker", that new track you hear that you don't like now might end up being the hottest track of the season you're loving by years end.

- refer to last question,

Do DJs who play IYO bad music piss you off?
    - what is IYO?

Or is it a case of each to their own and leave the snobbery at the door?
    - right on.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Quote Originally Posted by BFLY View Post
    Playing good music is everything DJing is about. So you have to believe that there is good taste, and you have the best. End of.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Convert

Good taste is judged by the crowd and their reaction, not by comparing it to an individual's playlist.

A DJ's job, just like anyone else doing a job they are expected to do, is keeping happy the crowd he is paid to keep happy. He isn't hired to force his favorite music on anyone. He's hired to keep the crowd happy, and if he can keep them happy while exposing them to his own personal selection of music or stuff that they wouldn't normally expect to hear at that venue, then he's doing a great job.

As long as they are being technically sound, I judge DJ's by the crowd's reaction, not by my own tastes. If I absolutely hate the song selection but the crowd is loving it, I'm in the wrong place. That's my fault, and nobody else's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by transverz View Post
    Good taste is judged by the crowd and their reaction, not by comparing it to an individual's playlist.

A DJ's job, just like anyone else doing a job they are expected to do, is keeping happy the crowd he is paid to keep happy.
    Depends on the DJ gig. If you're a "working" DJ playing the same top 40/commercial club week in and week out then yeah, those people aren't out to see "you", they are out to hear all the tracks that are hot on the radio currently and to be at the "hot" spot and be seen there.

NOW, if you playing at the underground spot with people who are dedicated to the music and are looking to be impressed by your track selection and mix and don't want to hear the same old Beatport chart tunes, then you're damn straight it's going to come down to your playlist.

But like I originally said, it all comes down to context.