SYNC button "don't even use it" AntiLock Breaks and air bag "turning them off"? ????
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Sync

-- edit--
    Last edited by RD444; 10-22-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Tech Wizard

I actually have had sync ruin my mix a few times in traktor. And yes, from traktor 3 to tsp 2.0.1. I use it to sync bpm's quick and do the rest manually, at least it don't jump quarter a beat every now and then and I don't have to phase/grid songs all the time. I probably would use it if I wasn't this lazy. Itch does the bmp sync better and I don't use too much fx anyways so I mostly use ssl or itch. Traktor is good for having fun though.

If you not syncing or quantizing or snapping.....you will also miss out on things like Beat Jumping etc.

These types of thing make the set so much more interesting these days as we have all pretty much heard the banger the fucking day it was released.

So change it up a bit and make it your own I say.

If you can do this without sync...SWEET!

If you can't....just use the sync!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

I agree with you except on the sync button point, but for reasons you mentioned: broken beats. If somebody wants to move onto genre's with syncopated beats or non 4/4 time signatures, it'll get tricky to use the sync button, and in the long term it's better to learn by ear since it's not really even hard, just time consuming. Plus with controller modification being essential to good performance value, why waste the button space for a sync button when the pitch fader does the same thing, especially if you have a bpm reader in your software or mixer? You can sync tracks in the same amount of time with that in that case that it would take you to hit the sync button, but you have more control over the pitch/tempo.

Also, the jog wheel is totally useful, I don't understand why people don't want them on their controllers, but to each their own.
    My equipment: Numark Omnicontrol Midi Controller, Traktor Pro (lol pro setup right?)

Rabid Season Mix

i beatmatched manually for years, its not the most fun thing i can do, nor does the audience gain anything from me taking an extra minute or 2 to do it. they do however benefit from me having more time to mix in a 3rd track or mash the hell out of things.

manual beatmatching is alot like owning a gun, its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Hmmm, I never had any problems with sync, and I play DnB most of the time. On the other hand, I learned DJing quite a while ago the oldskool way, and even with proper beat grids there's always some room for slightly fine tuning with jogs or buttons. You just hear it more with broken beats when sync is just a tiny bit off. It still works, though.

BTW, I think the antilock brakes and air bag analogy doesn't fit very good. It's more like traction control. If you know what you're ding, you can turn it off and get better results.

A lot of the guys hating on traktor and sync are using SSL lining up their vertical waveforms complainging that we can hit a button while they have to use their skills to manually match the BPM displays and nudge the waveforms so they line up.

if they like their pitch adjustments and waveform lining up I don't bother to argue
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 10-21-2011 at 03:02 PM.

When I get my controller to 1ms Ill consider not using snap and quantize
    When I can map a fader to have .01-.05 precision on the pitch fader Ill consider not using sync
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Mentor

Some great responses and things i hadn't considered.
    Last edited by RD444; 10-21-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    A lot of the guys hating on traktor and sync are using SSL lining up their vertical waveforms complainging that we can hit a button while they have to use their skills to manually match the BPM displays and nudge the waveforms so they line up.

if they like their pitch adjustments and waveform lining up I don't bother to argue
    Thank you!

I am going to start a beatmatching tutorial with videos or something like that here soon when I have some more time. Figure it will be interesting for a lot of people. I always like watching people beatmatch. In fact, it's my favorite part of playing sets believe it or not.

I get a warm tingle in my hangdown every time I beatmatch and I hear that instant when the two tracks come together for the very first time just right. Like virgin sex to my ears!
    Last edited by Gryz; 10-21-2011 at 07:06 PM.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast