It sounds like i'm being ridiculous but Do some DJs not use Headphones? Waveriding? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I use headphones to beatmatch, not to listen to a bunch of different tracks trying to pick one out. Never used headphones when playing with Ableton since there's no need to even worry about something being out of time. By "adventurous" I was talking more along the lines of things like genre shifting, playing three tracks right over each other with EQ swaps, wierd acapellas, etc. For straight A-B house/trance/etc mixing with software I can go for hours without needing to preview anything.

maybe this is a bad example because jesus doesnt really need headphones but ive noticed he rarely uses them either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8eB83axVvw
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

That's a prepared routine. You'd have seriously messed up if you didn't know exactly how it was all going to sound.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    For straight A-B house/trance/etc mixing with software I can go for hours without needing to preview anything.
    I need a new record collection
    Nah, not really. If I have 2 records that I've never mixed together before, then I'm sure as hell checking they sound good together before they go out to the speakers.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 10-22-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

i played in alot of local places that didn't have monitors in the booth (this was 10-15 years ago)...so i would have to stay in the headphones longer...

i started bringing my own...but it was just more equipment to lug...so i learned to stay in the headphones...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    That's a prepared routine. You'd have seriously messed up if you didn't know exactly how it was all going to sound.

pretty sure alot of the other people mentioned are preparing their routine as well

just havin fun here ya know
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

It's all good
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Sometimes I don't use headphones, like yesterday I was going through new tracks and started mixing for the fun of it. Unknown tracks, some not even gridded correctly, all without headphones. And it honestly sounded great. I also was only using my X1 with stock tsi. Oh yeah *beast mode engaged*
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

Tech Mentor

Skillex uses ableton live to mix on stage.. as all the tracks are prewarped all he has to do is push play a split second before the bar he wants to introduce the track into the mix. Ableton will sort the rest out so no need for headphones really.
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Quote Originally Posted by jamthrax View Post
    Skillex uses ableton live to mix on stage.. as all the tracks are prewarped all he has to do is push play a split second before the bar he wants to introduce the track into the mix. Ableton will sort the rest out so no need for headphones really.
    where were you the last couple of pages?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast