It sounds like i'm being ridiculous but Do some DJs not use Headphones? Waveriding? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

once I know a mix is beat matched I tend not to use the headphones anymore.

If I didn't need to do beat matching (ie use sync button) I wouldn't see any need for headphones.

Tech Mentor

If you know your music well enough and practice your mixing in the same way you know what part to bring a song in you can do it without headphones. The technology is there that you can watch the wav and know where you're at in the music. if thats cheating and so horrible then petition Serato and native Instruments to put in layouts with no wavs, no spinning little turntables, no bpm display, no cue points, no nothing except your music folders and what songs are loaded in which deck and track times. Check the vid out I posted...thats no headphones in harlem......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoju-IqHbkc
    Last edited by dj matt blaze; 10-21-2011 at 11:56 PM.

Is it possible that they have wireless in-ear monitors?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

I would say its not possible because the audio quality would be terrible and not good enough or loud enough to use to mix with. It woudn't be totally wireless to have quality good enough to monitor and you would clearly see an in ear monitor with a wire going to a remote pack.

Tech Mentor

I've played tracks I know really well without headphones, I just remember where my cue points are and what the tracks sounds like. but I'd NEVER play out without headphones.
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RD444 View Post
    How many on the top 100 DJ list wear headphones?
    I don't think this would be the best source to base your decision.

Personally, I prefer keeping the headphones available for the reasons lethal explained. I don't care how "the big djs" are doing it really.

I have a couple routines that I can mash together, and so I don't really need headphones for that, but it's always handy. And I would always have them pluged in just in case.

I'd never heard of waveriding until this thread.

It could be that they've already warped & rendered their tracks at the same tempo. (Is this cheating? You decide...)

Don't know if I'd trust beat matching on sight alone - you wouldn't cook by smell alone, so why beatmatch on sight?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

As a side note I cook 90% by smell and use headphones.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I'd never heard of waveriding until this thread.

It could be that they've already warped & rendered their tracks at the same tempo. (Is this cheating? You decide...)

Don't know if I'd trust beat matching on sight alone - you wouldn't cook by smell alone, so why beatmatch on sight?
    There really is no need to do that....there is a bpm display that tells you the bpm, you have a pitch control so you can adjust accordingly and you have key lock to keep the pitch so it doesn't sound like a chipmunk. Its funny that 20 years ago I would time out the tempo of every record and write it on the label or put it on a sticker on the record sleeve and that was considered smart, nowadays its "cheating" to look at the BPM...makes no sense

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast