It sounds like i'm being ridiculous but Do some DJs not use Headphones? Waveriding? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I suppose it's all about being organised. With records, I never used to sort by tempo - but I wish I did. All my tracks are now sorted by Genre, Key, Tempo, etc...

Headphones just reduce the risk of any "nasty surprises" (key clashes, etc...) MiK doesn't ALWAYS get it right.

Just seems weird to me that the DJ will ONLY hear what the crowd hears.

This leads me to believe that some DJ's are pre-planning their sets, so they already know that there WON'T be any nasty surprises.

Nothing wrong with that.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    leads me to believe that some DJ's are pre-planning their sets, so they already know that there WON'T be any nasty surprises.

Nothing wrong with that.
    Really? You don't see anything wrong with planning a set ahead of time?

This whole thing seems ridiculous to me. Why would you not want headphones?
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    Steve angello = bad example

Roger Sanchez + dj sneak + digweed = good examples
    no flipping way

you are right good examples!

so headphones are optional?

I like to do a bit of pre mix 'eq' and 'gain' and a bit of 'will it work'?

-

or are these people playing big clubs/festivals with proper monitoring?

I've seen plenty of people play with Traktor in internal mode, visually by watching waveforms, without headphones, to good degrees of success.

It's fine, and it works for most kinds of EDM, rap, and pop as long as it's sync-able.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Really? You don't see anything wrong with planning a set ahead of time?
    doesnt exactly have to be planning a set ahead of time, any given night I play about 150-200 songs these songs I have played over and over again, set cue points, have keys set, have bpms set and even have comments on what works really well with what else... this isnt a planned set... I dont have rules to follow just I know my songs intimately. I play with headphones the odd time but only use them for songs I DONT know. Otherwise there is no need for them when I play, traktor has taken away the need with everything visually marked.
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

150 to 200 songs? Bloody hell, for how long do you usually play? I go through about 15 tracks an hour, so even if I play longer sets (4h+) I probably won't play much more than 100 tracks a night.

But not using headphones is something I cannot understand. Sure, would work with pre-planned sets and maybe if you know your tracks extremely well. But even in the latter case I would argue that having no headphones at hand will limit the spontanity of your sets (as you're probably even more inclined to play them in the combinations which you know to work well from before). To me, one of the biggest advantages of DJing digitally (with sync, cue-points and looping) is that I don't necessarily have to intimately know all my tunes. I can (and do) easily play tracks I've bought like a few hours before the gig - that certainly wouldn't work without cans.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    How often do you cue up a tune in your headphones to hear which remix to play?
    How often do you cue the mix up in your headphones, and the two together remind you of a better song to play?
    I've never done that. Ever. When I pick out a CD/record/file I know that's the next track. The sound testing for selection goes on in my head while browsing through tracks.

What happens when you bring the next song in and the keys clash horribly?
    With 99% of EDM stuff I know my tracks well enough and the general structure of songs to not do that. If I'm not sure about something but really want a certain track to come next then I only mix the intro/outro drums or drop some heavy filtering to be safe, but those are pretty rare occasions. Plus, I've got keys commented as a last resort. Any adventurous combinations are tested long before I get to playing a "real" set.

As I pointed out in my last post, I'm not saying my way is "better" than what you do in any way, and I'm not saying that there's something better about not using headphones (unless you have eraser hair). I'm just saying that I do things differently than you and so do a lot of people - headphones aren't required for someone that isn't beatmatching. If you think the way I play "equates to bad mixes and bad DJing", I'm okay with that. Do whatever works for you. I think the OP's question of trying to figure out if big headline names use headphones or not to decide whether its acceptable is kind of silly.
    Last edited by DigitalDevil; 10-22-2011 at 10:44 AM.

It's a bit like a surgeon turning of the ECG equipment before an operation. Sure, you'll mostly be fine, but very occasionally you'll kill a patient.
    Actually, it's a bit like leaving the ECG on, but doing the operation with your eyes shut.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    Any adventurous combinations are tested long before I get to playing a "real" set.
    So you don't take headphones to gigs at all?

Fair enough. Definitely not how I'd approach a set.

For example, I've got 800 nu-disco and deep house songs. That's 640,000 potential combinations. I'll leave my headphones off for the mixes I've planned and got 100%(if I'm syncing). I'll use my headphones when I feel like 'being adventurous'.

I guess there's always the aspect of 'playing' v 'practising'. There's a couple of DJ's in my house, so we're always 'playing' - it gets pretty annoying for everyone else otherwise.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast