Something I've always wondered
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Something I've always wondered

In clubs I notice the tracks being played are always bass-heavy. Not in the sense that the lows on the EQs are raised, but in the sense that the kicks are much more louder, clear, and amplified. Can somebody explain to me how DJs get their tracks to sound like these? I've heard mp3s that sounded like this so I don't think it's just the club audio systems. I'm guessing many producers/DJs use some sort of program to do this. This is annoying cuz I'd love for my tracks to have this feel but never seem to (boughten from beatport)...the kicks aren't as strong as I'd like them.

How do they do it?

Btw I just decided to get back into DJing after quitting 6 months ago, pretty excited just made a new mix woot.

Thats just the way the song sounds, it'll always sound heavy on a big system.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wild View Post
    Thats just the way the song sounds, it'll always sound heavy on a big system.
    +1
    Bass-ey elements are so much more pronounced on larger speakers. The kicks tend to jump out and are way more noticeable. This helps provide the groove for dancing, as all you're really dancing to is the 4 on the floor kicks.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Tech Guru

+100 its the same thing as listening to a song on laptop speakers then listening through "bass boost" headphones..... big sound systems are setup for this shizz.... you will hear frequencies and noises that you didnt even know exsisted in songs.
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Mentor

"I've heard mp3s that sounded like this so I don't think it's just the club audio systems."
    To be honest I think it's a matter of having the right samples and practicing techniques such as compression and proper EQing maybe give your kicks a bit of mid range as well as low so they have a bit more presence. just food for thought.
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

Whut you guys don't have the automatic mastering plug-in that makes your FL track playable on big systems?

Tech Guru

well there are automatic mastering plugins but I found that it lowered the volume on most of my tracks and made them sound shitty so I dont use them.... it was sposed to boost the tracks and make them sound thicker but didnt really and was made by the makers of mixed in key cant remember the name though
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

I dont think PartyMcFly was being serious...

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wild View Post
    I dont think PartyMcFly was being serious...
    me neither but just thought id add my 2 cents on something that was serious

I'll tell you what's serious: My hangover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast