Live Performance VS DJing
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Live Performance VS DJing

I'm in the process of trying to expand myself musically as a DJ to include live performance with other software such as Maschine/Ableton. However, I'm having a difficult time trying to find DJs/performers who incorporate a live set up using either ableton or maschine/other controllers that differentiate themselves from the regular track-to-track mixing that is most common.

Does anyone here dabble in this sort of setup, or can anyone refer me to DJs/Performers who do?

I'm looking for examples so I can get a good idea of what a live performance is about.

I know Speedy J and Chris Liebing have their Collabs performance which is pretty inspiring, and of course Richie Hawtin but I'm looking for a wider range of performers whether amateur or professional.

Are there any articles about incorporating a live set up into your DJ performance? I've searched but haven't come up with much.

Perhaps we can even open up a discussion about the different forms of live performance and their difference from standard mixing.

I was just about to post something very similar to this ...
    4gb Macbook, X2 Technics 1210 Mk2's, Behring UMX Mixer Kontrol X1, Uc 33-e, Prodipe 25-key Midi Keyboard, X2 Kool Sound Monitors, Audio 6

Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, Logic Pro 9

Tech Wizard

In my ableton set I have a whole bunch of loops I've made for the tracks. And the tracks aren't playing in full, I have them cut up in too loops as well so I can mix and match parts of the song and do live edits of them. With that I want to add maschine for percussion and possibly a synth (Real or VST) to run extra melodies with the tracks.

i consider my sets half way between live performance and djing (i basically make mash up after mash up on the fly). i gotta mix and video in my siggy, you can judge your self i guess haha i'm starting to play with using the maschine software alongside traktor and doing some live drumming along with my mixes (but its gona be awhile till im actually good at it haha)
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Tech Mentor

So does anyone use traktor + maschine software to combine in a live performance type of set? If so, how, what do you use the maschine for? Do you pre-create beats, load them into scenes and then treat maschine as a 3rd or 5th deck? Do you make beats on the fly or sample parts of songs? Do you load vst's/plugins and create crazy effects?

What's your workflow?

Richie hawtin
    Dubfire

There are loads of people who use both

Just YouTube them

Check out the Native Instruments website or their youtube channel. They have a lot of different videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msdFDCcdwaA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksb5u...278255C5E635CB

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by TommyQuiet View Post
    Richie hawtin
    Dubfire

There are loads of people who use both

Just YouTube them
    YO

"I know Speedy J and Chris Liebing have their Collabs performance which is pretty inspiring, and of course Richie Hawtin but I'm looking for a wider range of performers whether amateur or professional."

Paul van Dyk
    Sasha (when he was on Ableton)
    James Zabiela
    Woo York (find them on mixcloud)
    Underworld (much more focused on live performance)
    Tarekith (he runs abletonlivedj.com; see also tarekith.com)

And, I'm working on incorporating Maschine…figuring out the technical side at the same time as actually making beats…which is slow because I suck at writing melodies. I have ideas, but I'm not seriously working on it until I get several tracks made that I think suck less than what I'm currently producing.

Tech Mentor

Yeah I tried joining that forum but it won't accept impluse as an answer to the security question, frustrating!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast