Kindle Fire vs Ipad 2 ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Kindle Fire vs Ipad 2 ?

Price of the Kindle Fire is awesome. Apps (especially for DJ'ing/production) of the Ipad 2 are are awesome.

I know this comes down to personal circumstances/situation/needs, etc...but would I be making a horrible investment as a DJ if I bought the Kinde Fire? As in, am I really missing out on the DJ apps by not buying the Ipad 2?

(I'm most likely going to stick with Itch for a while so MIDI control is not likely to be a factor for me. I can't justify buying an Ipad 2 simply for sweet programs like iMaschine/TouchOSC, or can I?.....)

Thoughts?

edit: Mods this actually seems on topic to me now...could you maybe move this to the general forum so we can get more responses/views? Doesn't really matter though haha :-)
    Last edited by GI Trackt; 10-23-2011 at 12:28 AM.

I've been asking myself the same question! I just haven't found the answer yet
    The Djtt Psychic Network has closed for the day. If you need help from the non-psychic members of the forum, you need to be more specific
    http://soundcloud.com/djsidetrakd
    Check out my midifighter extreme!! http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28014

Yeah I watched more kindle fire videos today and I'm pretty set on pre-ordering one....It's too good of a deal!

I am most definitely biased as an owner of an iPad 2, but the things you can do with an iPad are crazy.

This guy covers a lot of music production apps for iPads, so you can see get an idea of what is possible. http://www.youtube.com/user/Discchord

iPads have been getting more and more popular, so the market is exploding, resulting in more developers creating new and innovative things.

Also I'd get hands on with both, from my limited personal opinion Apple is the only one to have no noticeable input delay whatsoever. Android, which the Fire is running afaik, still has that issue. It can be horribly frustrating. See if it's there on the Fire as I haven't seen one in operation.

This article pretty much sums up my this input delay issue quite well http://flyosity.com/iphone/androids-...s-terrible.php
    oh and here's a video demonstrating the lag, albeit on the iPhone and an Android phone.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/30050423"]http://vimeo.com/30050423[/ame]

Also think about peripherals, using the Camera Connection Kit you can hook up many USB devices, including MIDI instruments as the iPad has CoreMIDI. Albeit they reduced the power outputted by the iPad, so you may have to use externally powered equipment.

Let me know if you guys have any more questions.

Great post Alex, just the kind of post we were looking for! I appreciate your help! Thanks :-)

Sweeet thanks for moving to the general forum, mods! Any one else with some input?

Kindle a fire, or bite an apple?

Get an ipad 1 on craigslist for $300

Best purchase I had made in a while, if you use traktor and or ableton you are missing out by not using TouchOSC and Touchable. Touchable is the greatest controller for Ableton, period.

FWIW, I love my iPad, and there are just an amazing number of really cool apps both music-related and for various other things. I have an Android phone and I can't stand it. There are some cool apps but as the above poster noted, the OS is extremely frustrating in many ways, especially as you add apps. I shudder to think what I would do if I needed to use my phone in an emergency; to just dial 911 requires six distinct hand motions (and requiring watching the screen) with a noticeable delay between three of them. Of course you won't use a tablet to make phone calls but it gives you an idea of how poorly designed it is in some ways.

No idea if that is true of the kindle too -- I have the regular kindle and I absolutely love it; but it only has the ereader features and I don't (can't?) install anything else on it, so it's kept simple. A tablet is a much more complex animal than an ereader, which is essentially a one-trick pony. The other thing is there just aren't as many apps available for the Android for music-related stuff, and what's available is more of a mixed bag in terms of how polished it is. Say what you want about the Apple store censorship process but it does seem to add at least a tiny bit of quality control. And of course people are designing for the ipad, not for the android, in general.

All that said, even though I religiously purchase and install nearly every DJ-related app available on the ipad, I rarely use them and I never DJ with them in public. Some immensely cool stuff can be done with it but I'm more of a tangible controller type guy, and it adds a layer of complexity (and a point of failure) that I really don't need in the few gigs I do these days.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

The screen real-estate on the Kindle Fire is also much smaller than on the iPad. I see it as a smaller, more portable tablet. Bigger than an iPhone, smaller than an iPad. Really, that's the niche it's going after.

You'll be able to fit the Kindle Fire in your purse, but it doesn't have the app development backing or size to make it much more useful than the basics IMO.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Great discussion. I think I've got a good handle on my decision :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast