Hey Everyone! Trying to learn the ropes ( newbie )
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Hey Everyone! Trying to learn the ropes ( newbie )

This is going to be a very general question but I am really into music and have been wanting to experiment becoming a digital dj for a while and just haven't had the money to do so, but now I do so I was just making sure from browsing around here to be sure I have everything covered. I'm going to buy a laptop, a controller w/ software & headphones ... Let me know if I need anything else to start up... Also from what I have seen is that Serato & Traktor seem to be the two hottest software for mixing out there, which one do you guys suggest and which controllers? Thanks!

I think the majority of the people on these forums use Traktor. A few are using Serato's Itch. Others are using Ableton.
    Which software you choose will narrow the controller selection some.

When choosing a controller, be aware that if the controller doesn't have a sound card you will need to purchase one. The Audio DJ 2 is a good choice for one that isn't too expensive. I started with a Numark DJ I/O which worked well for me.

I would say get a Mac if funds allow it, as it seems Mac users have less to do to get their computer running DJ software reliably. I am using a $500 Acer, but have set a dual boot system where the DJ Drive is running a striped down Windows 7 and I use Smittens's script to turn off unnessecary services.

Speakers are also something I would look into also. The KRK's are very popular. that way you can get used to cueing up your incoming tracks while another is playing.

I am using the Traktor S4, and have been happy with it so far. I have seen that others have had some troubles with faders and some buttons though.

I would advise you to try out the different software and see what you like. Then if you have a music store like Guitar Center close, go try the controllers out and see what you prefer.

Thanks Vangogo, I was actually looking into getting a MacBook Pro 15' and also the Traktor s4 kontroller. .. I just have a couple of questions ... For The macbook they have an option for anti-glare screen for $150 more and was wondering if that is an advantage for djing or is it just an unnecessary upgrade?

Also which KRK speakers would you recommend, and does the S4 come with a sound card? Thanks.

If your going to be playing a lot of Bass-centric music then I suggest you get the krk rokkit8's. If you get speakers with woofers smaller than 8" your gonna want to pickup a subwoofer to compensate for the lack of bass.
    Reloop TM4 : Audio6 DJ : Kontrol X1 : Traktor Pro Scratch 2 : Ultrasone DJ1 Pros : Ableton 9 : Launchpad Mini :

I don't think the anti glare would be that big of a deal, but dont take
    my word on that as I have no experience with it Not worth $150 to me as that would buy you the KRK rokkit 5's. Which should be plenty of speaker for the bedroom, but as stated above the larger woofer of the 8's will give you more bass.

The S4 has an integrated sound card. You can run a mic through it, have a iPod hooked up to it in case you have a computer crash or other problem, you can also run a turntable or cd player through it, or with the scratch upgrade run a digital vinyl system with it.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 10-24-2011 at 12:30 AM.

also the Yamaha HS80m's are great studio monitors.
    Reloop TM4 : Audio6 DJ : Kontrol X1 : Traktor Pro Scratch 2 : Ultrasone DJ1 Pros : Ableton 9 : Launchpad Mini :

Just beware of the M-audio monitors. They are prone to failing.

Honestly IMO if your just gonna be mixing tunes a good hi-fi stereo should be fine.

There are a lot of controllers and different options out there. I'd suggest first doing some research and watching videos about which software you want to use. Serato Itch, Serato Scratch Live, or Traktor (in it's various forms).

After that, figure out which controller best suits your needs for your software choice, or CDJ's or turntables if you go that route.

Then invest in a stellar set of headphones. Seriously.

Then invest in sound for where you will be mixing. (Personally, I'm happy with my computer speaker setup from 2003. But people get fickle over different speaker setups.)

That's my 2 cents.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast