Vinyl only [labels/releases/tracks]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vinyl only [labels/releases/tracks]

So, as I now finally got some 1210s and therefore plan on starting to buy some vinyl once again, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for compiling information on vinyl only stuff - i.e. labels (like Perlon, Mojuba, KDJ), releases (like the Cabin Fever series on Rekids) and individual tracks (like Deeper Love on Soundstream's All Night EP)

VINYL ONLY LABELS

Cabin Fever

Sub-imprint of Rekids
    Style: Deep House, Tech House
    Double Standard Records

Label run by Gadi Mizrahi of Wolf+Lamb
    Style: Deep House
    Geheimtipp

White-label sub-imprint of Mo's Ferry
    Style: Tech House
    keinerechte

Unofficial sub-imprint of keinemusik, releasing uncleared edits (most notably Daniel Bortz' version of James Blake - Limit To Your Love)
    Lonesome Hero (discogs)

Style: Tech House, Techno
    Mojuba

Style: Deep House, Tech House
    Perlon (discogs)

Style: Minimal
    Praxxiz

Label run by Berlin's Dr. Motte (not entirely sure on the "vinyl only" stance, but their latest two releases - by Samuel L. Session - apparently are)
    Style: Techno
    Seoul Community

Slices Of Life

Style: Deep House
    Solamente

Style: Tech House, Minimal
    Tape Select

White-label imprint with edits by Oscar (Karate Klub)
    we can do it

Last edited by 3heads; 10-25-2011 at 04:46 AM.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for compiling information on vinyl only stuff
    If you don't mind me asking, why?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Why not?

Its understood that DJTT revolves around the idea of using controllers in lieu of traditional mediums, but there are many reasons for a thread such as this one.. here are a few that come to mind:

1. A rather large quantity of electronic music contains, or is created entirely from samples pulled from real vinyl, thus sourcing them is valuable for both studio remixers and live remix artists as well.

2. There is a quality embedded within the performance via real vinyl that should not be lost.

3. Along those same lines of reasoning, one must not forget the origins from where the art has progressed. If those origins are readily available and easily implemented within a live performance; even better.

4. There is no rule against the use of real vinyl and controllers within a single live performance.

5. Mr. Scruff

6. Because yes.

Oh yea... congrats on those 1200's m8

Well, as I said, I just bought Technics so I could finally make use of TSP. And now having good decks at hand I think I might as well buy some real vinyl too (e.g. to be able to spin the odd vinyl set if I feel like it or the situation demands it), especially considering that there are still good vinyl only releases (and lots of classic tracks from Detroit or Chicago are not available in digital format). Vinyl prices on the other hand demand that I focus on vinyl only stuff when buying vinyl (to make the most of the money spent).

Makes sense?
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25

Quote Originally Posted by Mylestec View Post
    a good and robust, but unnecessary defense of vinyl
    I don't think having a million page long list of 'general tunes that you can only buy on vinyl' is going to be that useful. I've got a couple of hundred charity shop records, not sure where they'd fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    Makes sense?
    I think we're getting there. You'd like people to recommend you some tunes to buy that are only available on vinyl. Any particular genre?
    ---
    While we're on the subject, beware that you do quite a lot of tunes that are initially only released on vinyl, however later on they are released on digital too, when the period of 'exclusivity' is over. That or someone rips it and sticks it all over the internet.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 10-24-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Mentor

Novel Sound (recommendations: Levon Vincent - Man Or Mistress, Levon Vincent - Double Jointed Sex Freak), Deconstruct Music (DJ Qu - Party People Clap), Soul People Music (Various - Earth Tones 2), Text Records (Four Tet - Locked/Pyramid), Resista (Daphni Edits Vol. 1), Golf Channel (Try To Find Me - Vol. 3, Justin Vandervolgen - Clapping Song), Adult Contemporary (The Beat Broker - Pacific Break), Not On Label (Ron Hardy RDY series), Restoration (Third Side - Nyx EP, The Analogue Cops - Manola EP), Doldrums (all releases), W+L Black/W+L Blue, Not On Label (RAL series, particularly: Unknown Artist - Flöte und Clarinette), Editainment, ...

I think we're getting there. You'd like people to recommend you some tunes to buy that are only available on vinyl.
    Yeah, somewhat, but I thought other people might be interested as well so I didn't tailor the thread for a specific genre. My initial thought was especially to crowd-source vinyl-only-labels here (and edit those into the first post every once in a while), but also tips on vinyl-only-EPs or vinyl exclusive tracks on EPs otherwise also released in digital format (as it's quite easy to miss those).

Any particular genre?
    I'm mostly interested in Tech House, Deep House (the techy variety of it) and Techno.

I think the thread is a great idea, coming from a vinyl junkie that is also in touch with his digital side..

Anybody who hates should just leave the thread

Not hating, just don't 'get it'. I buy vinyl, but my criteria for buying tracks are:

- is it good?
    - is it available on digital? - buy digital
    - is it only available on vinyl? - buy vinyl

So I'm basing my selection on the quality of the track, rather than it's exclusivity. Diff'rent strokes etc, I guess I'm just coming at it from a different direction.

Here's one, on a nu-disco vibe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b88O6TwxB58
    ...also dikso release vinyl only
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DiksoRecords
    ...downtempo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMUpyKjzjQ

These are all buying vinyl out of necessity rather than any other reason.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 10-24-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

If you want to talk vinyl, go to DJ Forums. You will find more purists than nuns.
    Ableton Live 9, Traktor, VCI-400, APC40, QuNeo, Lemur iOS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast