Newbie Traktor Collection Question
    Tech Wizard

Default Newbie Traktor Collection Question

Hi, was hoping someone with a bit of Traktor knowledge could give me an answer to the following:

If a track is in the Collection (for e.g. it is located in a Music Folder, and you tell Traktor to import music folders to Collection), and is also in an iTunes playlist... if I add the iTunes playlist to Collection, will I then have a duplicate in the Collection, or does Traktor recognise which tracks are already in the Collection and only add the new tracks from the playlist.

If it recognises that it's already there, what does it base this on? Is it based on the location of the file or some ident info in the file itself?

Any help much appreciated.

It shouldn't reimport the file if its already in the collection. I think this is based on the traktor collection file that lists all the imported tracks, based on track name and location.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

But doesn't iTunes store a duplicate of the file in lithe iTunes music folder? Therefore it will be seen as a completely seperate track due to 2 different file locations? I don't know the answer. Only pondering!! :-)
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    But doesn't iTunes store a duplicate of the file in lithe iTunes music folder? Therefore it will be seen as a completely seperate track due to 2 different file locations? I don't know the answer. Only pondering!! :-)
    Possibly, but I would have it set up so that the iTunes music folder is also the Traktor Collection music folder, so there would only be one file. I'm not sure this will work though, hopefully someone will know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    But doesn't iTunes store a duplicate of the file in lithe iTunes music folder?
    Only if iTunes is set to do so.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote Originally Posted by Onimode View Post
    Only if iTunes is set to do so.
    Didn't know that could be changed. Every day is a school day!! Thanks.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

The traktor file stores info for traktor. Like where the file is on the hard drive, beat grid, etc. It does not make another copy.

iTunes will make a copy of your track and place it in the iTunes music folder only if you have that option selected in preferences. I prefer to have iTunes organize my files like this, so after importing to iTunes I delete the original file to avoid double copies.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    The traktor file stores info for traktor. Like where the file is on the hard drive, beat grid, etc. It does not make another copy.

iTunes will make a copy of your track and place it in the iTunes music folder only if you have that option selected in preferences. I prefer to have iTunes organize my files like this, so after importing to iTunes I delete the original file to avoid double copies.
    Do you have your iTunes music folder set as the Music Folder in Traktor?

No, as I have a lot of tunes that I wouldn't DJ with in my music collection. I only import to Traktor tracks I use for DJing.