Playing out with tracks that have DRM.
    Tech Convert

Default Playing out with tracks that have DRM.

Hey guys, i did a bit of a search but couldn't find anything really. (if there is a forum please link it!)

Basically, I am wondering about the legality of DJing infront of a crowd (be it mobile DJing or in a club). I use typically use traktor which will spit out any music with DRM on it. However, I've noticed that Virtual DJ does not. So i know it is possible to DJ with DRM protected music, but only in certain programs.

The reason why I have so many songs with DRM is because I subscriped to Microsoft's Zune pass. Basically for 15 dollars a month, i get unlimted access to a huge library of music. I can download the full, 320k versions of these songs for no charge other than the 15 dollars a month i have to access them. However, these songs are protected with DRM. They cannot be burned to a CD and they can only be played from 5 different devices (computers, zunes, or windows phones). If i stop my subscription, i will not be able to listen to any of the music i have downloaded via my zunepass. Every month, i am given 10 free DRM-Free downloads. I get to keep these songs forever and they have unlimited usage. I love the zunepass because it gives me instant access to a crap load of music and i only spend a few bucks more than i would on a single CD. (plus i get the free 10 downloads which alone are worth the 15 bucks (since places like beatport get off on selling 320kbs mp3s for like 2 bucks.)

With that said, i would love to be able to use my zune pass to have access to a large amount of music and be able to use it when i mix live as well. It would be particularily useful for building an enormous library of music to be used for mobile DJing (and with a wireless broadband connection gives me the ability to download songs on the fly for requests).

So really i am wondering, is it legal to do so? I haven't been able to find any sort of contract or terms of condition on the songs i download and was wondering if anyone had any insight. Don't want the government hauling me off!

I doubt there are going to be many government officials scoping out the clubs and asking to see DJs file info.

Whether there is a way to actually play them is another matter. When I had a few DRM tunes bought from itunes I just burnt them to CD and loaded them back in.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wild View Post
    I doubt there are going to be many government officials scoping out the clubs and asking to see DJs file info.

Whether there is a way to actually play them is another matter. When I had a few DRM tunes bought from itunes I just burnt them to CD and loaded them back in.
    Still, I would like to be taken seriously in the industry and therefore won't play music that i've acquired from anything but a legal source. Not be that guy who shows up with a harddrive full of torrents and limewire DLs.

As long as you own (temporarily or otherwise) the music you're playing and the venue are licensed for you to play it to other people then everyone's getting paid.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Was NOT condoning torrent rips or unpaid for music, to me DRM just seems like nonsense. If ive paid for it, im going to play it wherever i want and make copies for my own use if needed.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE