Audio Editor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio Editor

Tech Wizard

Default Audio Editor

Hey guys,
    searched to forums for "audio editor" and didnt find anything. looking to invest in a reliable editing software that isn't WAY out of my price range...any suggestions?

thanks!

Audacity is free.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gre3nergy View Post
    Hey guys,
    searched to forums for "audio editor" and didnt find anything. looking to invest in a reliable editing software that isn't WAY out of my price range...any suggestions?

thanks!
    That, or Garage Band if you're on a mac.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

i have checked out audacity, but the editing quality and options are very weak... for example, let say i want to make an instrumental and pull the vocals out, the program does a bad job detecting the vocals and turning them down...i thought that since it was a free program it wasn't doing the job right...am i wrong? O.o im running a pc and ive heard that wavepad and adobe are some good ones...anyone have any first had experience?

thanks!

Soundforge and Ableton Live are the ones that I've used, and found to be powerful enough to do what I want.

Not sure what you are looking at price wise. But you aren't going to get better than Audacity without spending some $$.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Adobe Audition (my choice today) and Sony SoundForge (used it for years before switching to mac) are great tools, but they do way more than just audio editing. You can demo both of them at their sites.

What is your price range? These are near the $350 mark.

i have checked out audacity, but the editing quality and options are very weak... for example, let say i want to make an instrumental and pull the vocals out, the program does a bad job detecting the vocals and turning them down...i thought that since it was a free program it wasn't doing the job right...am i wrong? O.o im running a pc and ive heard that wavepad and adobe are some good ones...anyone have any first had experience?

thanks!
    It's not possible to pull the vocals out of a full song. There's some stuff you can do to sorta-kinda pretend to using stereo phase cancellation, but it only works if the vocals are paned dead center and nothing else is…which almost never happens.

In short…what you want to do isn't really possible, and spending $40,000 on a Pro Tools HDX rig isn't going to change that.

Try googling "[song title] instrumental"

Tech Wizard

Hey guys!
    my price range is about 200 ish...and i see that there's a lot of software out there for like $100. Are these $100 programs on par with audacity's level of editing or significantly superior? or is it better to just suck it up and purchase one of these 400 programs like Sony's Soundforge?
    I have searched for songs with "song title + instrumental" but i would hate to spend money to only use a small chorus and buy the whole melody. Ultimately, i thought that their was audio editing software that could pull the "stems" of songs like vocals, melody, beat, type deal to chop-up and remix the songs of my choice. I am aware that you can purchase some of these stems from the producers/labels through itunes and such, but not all songs offer this. How do other dj's just get the vocals or melody of a song to create wonderful mixes/mashups with another song? im sure that its not as easy as turning down the EQ levels. I would assume that it is achieved though some sort of audio editing hence why i started this thread; can anybody point me in the right direction?

on a side note, how does one "edit" audio in abelton live? any links? ima go take a look at youtube after i post this.

thanks guys!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

You can't isolate clean stems form a fully mixed audio source, it just doesn't work that way.

How do other dj's just get the vocals or melody of a song to create wonderful mixes/mashups with another song? im sure that its not as easy as turning down the EQ levels. I would assume that it is achieved though some sort of audio editing hence why i started this thread
    Yeah, it's not.

You can kinda isolate sounds with EQing and stereo phase cancellation effects by re-doing the stereo summing with some stuff inverted and some other little things. Doing Mid/Side processing "wrong" can sometimes isolate elements. But, mostly, you're stuck with what you can find.

If you're looking to do mashups or remixes, you're limited to what you can find and legally purchase and what you can re-create using instruments, synths and drum machines.

But, once you sum the stems to a stereo master…you can't go back. Math doesn't work like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast