Had a bad set
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Had a bad set

Default Had a bad set

So I don't really know what the point of this post is other than I just got back and am not to happy. Tonight was my first night at this particular bar/club and I was doing the closing set, kind of just did it for fun. The promoter had a family emergency and wasn't there when I got there so I just set up and went on after the other DJ who was meh. The problem was I effed up and forgot my little lights and was really struggling to see the mixer. That and the fact that these girls wouldn't stop trying to talk to me while I was mixing lead to a few mistakes in my set and its really driving me crazy right now. Nothing to awful (stuff like the incoming song fader being only partially up, and transferring the bass badly) but its really killing me now. Simply put I just could't see well with no light. The guys before me were using rane 57s with like 6 knobs and 2 faders and were fine in no light, but it effed me up on a 4 channel mixer with shit everywhere. Regardless, I did fill the dance floor and played good tracks and had some good mixing but man, those mistakes really really sucked. uhgggggg. This is really the first time this has ever happened to me, I always have those lights (not this time...). Also.. the monitor speakers sucked, useless.
    Last edited by DJ SB; 10-27-2011 at 01:33 AM.

What exactly do u want to hear from us? That you are the first DJ ever who has made mistakes? That you could learn from this evening to bring a light with you in case the club is too dark and don't letting you be distracted by conversations in the wrong moment is a good idea?

I think you don't need us to see this

not being perfect is very human. as long as you didn't cleared the floor and the girl which has distracted you from a good mix is still talking to you, the situation can't be SOO bad ^^
    Last edited by racoon; 10-27-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Yeah thanks. I have no idea what the point of my post is. Funny enough the one girl has been at the last three of my sets at three different venues and always begs me to play the same song Levels (Scene Edit). She's like a broken record.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    Yeah thanks. I have no idea what the point of my post is. Funny enough the one girl has been at the last three of my sets at three different venues and always begs me to play the same song Levels (Scene Edit). She's like a broken record.
    She's trying to flirt with you…and it's the only song she knows.

Also…umm…as for the monitors sucking and generally having a bad night…that sucks. I sympathize. Everyone's been there.

As for not knowing your mixer well enough to play in the dark…umm…suck it up and learn. That's really something you should know.

Yeah mateee......it happens hey!

Game face on...and do better next time!

Spare lights in your bag maybe? Would help in future.

You also need to develop your death stare....I have perfected it!

The expression on my face when I mix is not a good one. You either with me...SLAMMING it down....or you think I am demonic.

Maybe its my metal background....but I play with a scrawl on my face....VERY angry looking....dunno why.

When I realize it...i smile and try to make eye contact with someone on the floor to show I am just concentrating....but i get LOTS of people telling me to smile or asking why I look so angry.

LOL.

Keeps the riffraff out the box and off my back.

LOL
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Meh - I daresay most people didn't notice the cockups ...

I've had a few sets where it's just not worked well - or at least I thought I stunk the place up, and people thought it was ace ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

on private-, squat- or freepartys with no "management" and no "organisazion" and too many craving bedroom dj's all wanting to "show off their monumental skills" you will learn how to defend your concentration for the dancefloors needs from being pulled away from the ego-desires of someone else

especially when you have pushed the floor up to a good mood and the people having fun with the thing you do in the booth and you KNOW that the dj who try to get you away from the booth will be crushing all the mood and will clear the floor and YOU KNOW that he will not listen to you if you tell him this because his ego is in his way between him and reality, you have to train how to deal with this to rescue the actually good mood of the party people on the floor

when you can deal with this sort of "threatment" the nice girl trying to talk shit into your head while you make an transistion is no problem anymore ^^

grin at her while don't removing your headphones so you can't hear anything she says is a good idea for instance ^^

Quote Originally Posted by racoon View Post
    grin at her while don't removing your headphones so you can't hear anything she says is a good idea for instance ^^
    92/2D/X1/KRK/Traktor (Toshiba Satellite M50 / PSM51L)
    Progressive Psychedelic

At psytrance parties in clubs...I usually get the "Play some Infected Mushroom!!!"

I just reply: "This IS Infected Mushroom.......the new album...you haven't got it?"

Works the CHARM!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    At psytrance parties in clubs...I usually get the "Play some Infected Mushroom!!!"

I just reply: "This IS Infected Mushroom.......the new album...you haven't got it?"

Works the CHARM!

I must try this.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast