Laptop/USB hub advice
    Tech Mentor

Default Laptop/USB hub advice

Hi folks,

I have a pretty good feeling that my Mrs is going to get me a MacBook Pro for my upcoming 50th birthday

I am using a DJM800 and 2 CDJ 400's but want to go over to using them with Serato.

I'm thinking of a 17" as it has 3 USB ports. I presume this would enable me to use it without a hub or would it?

Are the USB ports able to cope?

On the other hand, it would be a lot cheaper to buy a 15" and a powered hub.

Remembering that I'm in the UK, can anybody recommend a powered hub that definitely works? Preferably someone that uses a similar set up?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice offered

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/07/1...rt-inequality/
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/01/2...ub-dj-hi-spee/

The first article is rather old, and Apple has updated their MBPs since then. Your DJM-800 + two CDJ-400s setup should work fine on a 17" MBP. The second article has some information regarding USB hubs you might find useful. Are you set on buying a powered one, or are you considering non-powered as well? I don't think your setup would be very bus-power-demanding, since the units are already powered.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tech Mentor

59 views and one reply?

Thanks Onimode

I've read those articles and I'm fairly sure that a powered hub is what I need to be safe.

I've asked this question in several places and have yet to find anyone who can recommend a solid USB hub that definitely works and can be bought in the UK.

From what I can gather, some do and some don't.

Before I, or my Mrs, forks out over £2000 on a 17" MacBook Pro, I'd really like to know for sure that the 3 hubs will definitely run my system without any issues.

Like I have said, if I can get a solid recommendation for a powered USB hub that can be bought in the UK, I'd be happy to get the 15" MacBook Pro and save a wedge of cash.

Surely someone can help?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

This is the thread you seek.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...irmed+multi+TT

As far as recommendations I use the Belkin F4U017 with no problems. I've had as much as two X1's an APC 40, and a midi fighter all connected through it and it worked fine on a 15" 2.53 ghz MBP with 4 gigs RAM. My soundcard and the hub take up my two available ports.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the suggestion photojojo

Anyone else got any suggestions?