No clue how to use my V7s - Wonder why I bought them?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default No clue how to use my V7s - Wonder why I bought them?

I got some Numark V7s, and while I have played with them a bit I have no clue how to use turntables. I don't know why I thought it would be easy. I know I need to practice, but I have a "safe wedding DJ" library and have been having trouble figuring out what to scratch/remix. NO joke I did a Franzl Lang Alpine Jyodeler / The Lion Sleeps Tonight mashup that sounded like it would've worked if I knew how to operate the tables better. Yes, I was scratching/ cutting in yodeling over The lion sleeps tonight.

Where can I go to get some good samples, loops, and a kit of music to start practicing on? I need to build a small library of music just for my turntables so I can put some sets together I that I would be confident about performing.

I have had some fun with my hot-keys and remixed Sublime "Wrong Way" to say: "I'm staring at her drunk ass -- Oh No! - It's the wrong way"

It was fun trying to time it out so it ran seamlessly.

And if you're wondering how sublime is wedding friendly, it's not. I bought a CD collection off of a kid that had a ton of stuff. LIke a thousand CDs. I have GWAR, Insane Clown Possie and a whole bunch of crap that should never be played at a venue. There were a lot of soundtracks in his collection though, and some good stuff.

If you're playing a wedding, I wouldnt worry about scratching, try some easy blends. being a wedding, you can just cut the tracks or wait til it ends and play the next one........

And Insane Clown Posse at a wedding?

Tech Mentor

I have it because I bought it as a package deal with a thousand other CDs. ICP is on the do not play list. Also, I bought the turntables because I don't want to be just a wedding DJ. I definitely don't want to be a club DJ but would like the skills for other parties. Did a collesge party and just mixed wedding favorites with some top 40s and everybody had a good time but it would have been nice to bring my turntables. I only bring my laptops and run mixmeister for my gigs because bringing turntables gives people the expectation of good mixes and if all you do is crossfade it will let people down.

Tech Guru

they see me trolling... they hating....

Tech Mentor

Congrats on the V7s. I'm really jealous. They are truly great decks. The rotating platters do take some getting used to, well a lot of getting used to but they are a heck of a lot fun of when you do start getting the hang of them.

P.S. I hate people who use those MP3 players to mix(with the slim chance that they even do) at weddings/parties. No offense to anyone who does but IMHO they're boring. So once again great choice on the V7s!
    Last edited by roshanbhoj; 10-30-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Entheos406 View Post
    if all you do is crossfade it will let people down.
    I guess I been doing it wrong since 1982. I dont need FX!

Tech Mentor

If you're going to quote me do it in context DJ uzzeless.

There is nothing wrong with just crossfading. However if you show up with $1200 in turntables with blinking lights and spinning platters and all the bells and whistles and then don't use any of their functions people will be disappointed.

If you're going to quote me do it in context DJ uzzeless.

There is nothing wrong with just crossfading. However if you show up with $1200 in turntables with blinking lights and spinning platters and all the bells and whistles and then don't use any of their functions people will be disappointed.
    Most people don't even understand how a DJ works, and those that do, probably have their own distinct opinions anyhow. Showing up with the equipment just gives a more professional vibe, I've seen terrible DJ's with a laptop, and terrible DJ's on CDJ-2000's.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    Most people don't even understand how a DJ works, and those that do, probably have their own distinct opinions anyhow. Showing up with the equipment just gives a more professional vibe, I've seen terrible DJ's with a laptop, and terrible DJ's on CDJ-2000's.

I agree with this. Also, just try watching some youtube videos and tutorials of V7s and see what others do with them. You can get some tips and ideas from that. If the moving platter is an issue, try it while it's turned on and off and see which setting makes it easier.

And if you're wondering how sublime is wedding friendly, it's not.
    Massive failure. Sublime - "Love is what I got" is a wedding fucking staple.

As far as getting a hold of good samples - you can hit up Beatport and search for "DJ Tools" and I bet you'll come up with some good battle weaponry.

Acapellas4u.co.uk has a few acapellas as well, those are fun to play with.
    Last edited by jprime; 11-02-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast