Mixer Choice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mixer Choice

Default Mixer Choice

Hello!

Im getting a new mixer. Im looking at these three. I am new to TCV setup but I feel its time for me....

Pioneer DJM - T1
    Denon x600
    Vestax PMC 05 Pro IV DJ Mixer

It appears these will all work well with Traktor/Virtual DJ? I have not been able to find any comparisions, or any good unbiased reviews of these products. Does anyone have experience with these? Also I am not sure I understand the difference between Traktor Pro and Tractor Scratch? Can anyone help me out? I am also looking at incorporating Albeton into my setup (already have this). I also have an MPK 25 (for production). I was going to get the Rane ttm57sl but now I feel as if it is overpriced - and has limited functionality compared to these mixers (Serato only?).

I would appreciate any and all feedback!

J

What's your setup like? It just makes it a bit easier to narrow it down.
    Think of the following:
    -How many decks do you want to mix with?
    -MIDI, CDJ's, Turntables, or mix of those?

And for difference between Pro and Scratch:
    You need Traktor Scratch if you want to use timecode (for CDJ's or Turntables). Which means that if you want to run CDJ's or TT's you place your timecode cd or vinyl on your media player, hook it up through your NI soundcard to your computer. Traktor Pro doesn't read the timecode information, so you're forced to either buy vinyl or burn CD's. However, if you're only going to be using Midi controllers, then you can go with pro, because you won't need the timecode capabilities.
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

Tech Mentor

Have you looked into the dn-x1600? It's Traktor certified so you don't need a NI soundcard. I have one and love it.

The difference between Traktor Pro and Scratch Pro is that Traktor Scratch Pro allows timecode control
    Last edited by Bkag; 10-30-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Hey!

I currently have two technics tts. Yes, I do want a tcv setup. I need a new mixer and an audio interface... The hybrid solution really appeals to me. I would like to avoid a secondary external sound card as much as possible. These mixers all have internal sound cards and allow for midi mapping..thus I should be able to use them with traktor scratch pro right? Or only "certified" tsp mixers?! I read that you could select the x1600 as your mixer where the x600 is hooked up in windows and it works fine - asio drivers. Does traktor pro offer anything that scratch pro doesn't? What would the point of having a DJ mixer do midi mapping if it couldn't sync the vinyl with the software? Just to use the fader to control other midi devices??

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonMichael10 View Post
    Hey!

I currently have two technics tts. Yes, I do want a tcv setup. I need a new mixer and an audio interface... The hybrid solution really appeals to me. I would like to avoid a secondary external sound card as much as possible. These mixers all have internal sound cards and allow for midi mapping..thus I should be able to use them with traktor scratch pro right? Or only "certified" tsp mixers?! I read that you could select the x1600 as your mixer where the x600 is hooked up in windows and it works fine - asio drivers. Does traktor pro offer anything that scratch pro doesn't? What would the point of having a DJ mixer do midi mapping if it couldn't sync the vinyl with the software? Just to use the fader to control other midi devices??

Thanks!!
    to control other things...

you need a certified mixer for traktor scratch unfortunately. scratch is just pro with timecode support they are otherwise the same.

I'm not sure what your budget is or what you're looking to do and normally I'm a Xone fanboy but the djm-900 is what you want if you want scratch certified and can afford it.

Tech Mentor

The x600 allows timecode on PC only!

Also, if you want to incorporate ableton why not use the rane and serato/the bridge?

Hybrid solution is not really portable for playing out. Also with a scratch certified mixer you will need to pay on top for the traktor scratch upgrade.

Djm900 looks like the tits though.

Or just buy the traktor scratch packag inc audio 10 sc and use with any mixer and is portable
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Or just buy the traktor scratch packag inc audio 10 sc and use with any mixer and is portable
    This ^^^

Youll kick yourself if you get one of these mixers only to find that they are not club standard. What would you do if you were offered a gig but had to turn it down becuase you didnt want to / couldnt take your expensive DJM900 mixer?

These things are still stupid expensive, you'll pay no more for buying an audio 10/6 TSP package and a standard mixer.

As far as mixers go, I recommend either Ecler, Urei or Allen & Heath.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

DJM-900 is worth every inflated penney
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Youll kick yourself if you get one of these mixers only to find that they are not club standard. What would you do if you were offered a gig but had to turn it down becuase you didnt want to / couldnt take your expensive DJM900 mixer?

These things are still stupid expensive, you'll pay no more for buying an audio 10/6 TSP package and a standard mixer.

As far as mixers go, I recommend either Ecler, Urei or Allen & Heath.
    And you will never find an Ecler or Urei in a booth…at least not in the US. And considering that he's basically listed listed 2 battle mixers and one that's trying to be a battle mixer…I'm guessing that none of those companies make anything that would appeal to him except maybe the A&H 02…and I'm not even sure they make that anymore.

IMHO, the best mixer on that list is the Vestax…but I'm a serious Vestax fanboy. I just like the way their stuff feels.

But…one other thing to consider if you're gigging is that buying a Scratch Certified mixer means that you have to have your mixer to use time code…or use someone else's audio interface. If you're gigging and not willing to bring your mixer…just get a sound card. If you play hip hop–as I've assumed–and gig, you'll probably find a Rane in the booth…and if you're using Traktor, you'll need your own sound card even if they have a 57SL because the 57SL won't work with Traktor Scratch.

If you're gigging…Rane or Vestax as per your preference + Audio 6 and TSP is probably your best bet…at least, that's how I see it. But I've made a lot of assumptions based on the mixers you listed. I could be completely wrong about the recommendation if those assumptions are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Leo View Post
    DJM-900 is worth every inflated penney
    No, it's not. All Pioneer mixers are overpriced pieces of junk with the exception of the 707, and IIRC, that only got affordable/popular when they discontinued it and sold the NOS for like $300.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast