Krk speakers!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krk speakers!!!

Tech Wizard

Default Krk speakers!!!

Hey guys!
    need some quick advice!
    found an add on craigslist for a pair of KRK monitors. the problem is one is a Rokit 5 and the other a VST 4.
    1) does the difference in diaphragms make that much of a difference, especially when these are only going to be used to "bedroom" djing.
    2) i understand that there will be some audio quality differences between the rokit and the VXT, but will it be so noticeable that its going to bother me?
    3) should i wait and buy a pair of monitors new and of the same type? does it make that much of a difference?

thanks for the advice guys!!

Tech Wizard

1) Can't help you here as I have never heard the vxt4's, but I would assume that there is a difference (RP5 and RP6 are noticeably different in output)
    2) Yes, you will notice a difference, likely a huge difference. They are very different speakers).
    3) Yes, save up, and buy a matching pair, you will not regret it.
    2x CDJ 900 | DJM 900 Nexus | TSP2 | 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz | KRK RP6 | Sennheiser HD 25-1 mkII

I think you will notice a pretty decent difference. I dont have any experience with these exact speakers but i would think they wouldnt match up well.

If your trying to get some monitors on a budget, i would buy which ever speaker from craigslist you prefer and then go to a website and pick up a used or b-stock speaker of the same model.

Tested 5's, 6's and VXT4's as pairs and in a mix/match. The 4's certainly need a subwoofer to give them some balls. The 6's have loads more grunt than the 5's but I found the 5's to be 'truer'. Across the range their is NOTICEABLE mismatch. It's very disconcerting to have mismatched sound - you will regret your purchase, even 'just for bedroom DJing'. Get a matched pair.
    356 reasons why

Tech Wizard

thanks for the quick advice guys!
    ill probably take a look at the vxt4 and buy another one when i see the opportunity!

thanks all!

The RPs were designed for production/dj use. But I would say leaning more towards the DJ studio side of things, opposed to a fullon Production studio. The RPs colour the the low end to give you a fuller punchier bass.

KRK designed the VXTs as pure reference studio monitors. They are markedly truer, but for that reason also flatter than the RPs (sound wise), and do not colour the sound in any way (not suppose to); they require a sub-woofer to extend the low end. So if you want monitors for pure bedroom DJ purposes, rather go for the RP range.

Also keep in mind, and I can say this from experience (own RP8s), the RPs are near-field monitors, and you need to be reasonably close (in front) of them to experience their full-range sound reproduction. They were never designed to fill a whole room with amazing sound, even though they seem to pack a punch. 2cents.
    Last edited by Destrukto; 11-01-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    92/2D/X1/KRK/Traktor (Toshiba Satellite M50 / PSM51L)
    Progressive Psychedelic

Tech Wizard

Hey guys,
    need some more quick advice!
    i didnt end up buying the KRK's, but now have an offer for either
    M-Audio Studiophile BX8a Deluxe VS. SAMSON RESOLV A-8

both are around 225 used, and are in good condition. ive read that people tend to like the M-audio BX8's a little better, but i would like to hear some other peoples opinion on this forum before i pull the trigger!

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Destrukto View Post
    2cents
    A good 2cents - my sentiments exactly. The VXT's are too critical for 'bedroom DJing', and certainly need a subbie. Optimal near field set-up is really to maximize a limited listening field. I love my RP's but they are selfish.
    356 reasons why

Quote Originally Posted by Gre3nergy View Post
    M-Audio Studiophile BX8a Deluxe VS. SAMSON RESOLV A-8
    Only know the M-A's - great speakers. Can you do a comparison try-out? Trust your ears.
    Last edited by JonathanBlake; 11-01-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    356 reasons why

The difference between the Samson and M-Audio, well, the most obvious difference, would be their ports. M-Audio is rear ported, whilst Samson is front reflex ported. When I bought my RP8s I had to choose, according to my preferences, between the RP8s and the Mackie M8s. In the end I chose the KRKs. There where many factors involved in my decision, too many to mention now. However, the main deciding factor in the end was my layout/placement. Front ported speakers/monitors are a little more forgiving where you plonk them down. Rear ported ones can get a little temperamental - they need to have the correct amount of room behind them to 'breath' the correct amount of bass, and they also don't like corners very much (they like a flat wall behind them).

So I would say, if you're looking for a bit more flexibility regarding placement of your monitors, go for the Samsons. But don't hold me to that. The result is in the ears of the beholder! If in any way possible, like JB said, go test-drive them both!!!! Monitor choice is as subjective as anything else regarding DJing. Nobody has the same ears, and we all perceive sound in our own personal ways. Unless you're starting out iceberg-lettuce-fresh, don't make this a hasty decision. Actually, that's not even an excuse, but you catch my drift?!
    Last edited by Destrukto; 11-01-2011 at 12:37 PM.
    92/2D/X1/KRK/Traktor (Toshiba Satellite M50 / PSM51L)
    Progressive Psychedelic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast